Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. `ARGO,' `LIFE OF PI' BIG OSCAR WINNERS
Ben Affleck's CIA thriller won best picture, while "Life of Pi" won four trophies, including best director for Ang Lee.
2. STATE-BY-STATE FALLOUT FROM BUDGET CUTS
The White House detailed the impact from $85 billion in cuts set to take effect at week's end.
3. A DATE FOR END OF CASTRO ERA
Raul Castro says he will step down as Cuba's president in 2018.
4. ASSIGNING BLAME FOR GULF OIL SPILL
A trial begins today to determine how much in damages oil giant BP and other companies should pay for the 2010 disaster.
5. HORSE MEAT SCANDAL HITS IKEA
Furniture retailer pulls its Swedish meatballs from shelves in Britain, Ireland and several European countries after Czech authorities detect horse meat in packages labeled as being made of pork and beef.
6. POPE BENEDICT CHANGES THE RULES
In one of his last acts as pope, the pontiff signs the document allowing for an earlier start to the conclave that will elect his successor.
7. ANOTHER STORM HEADED TO CENTRAL US
Blizzard warnings were in effect in Kansas after up to a foot and a half of snow fell there last week.
8. SETH MACFARLANE PRAISED AS IRREVERENT OSCAR HOST
"Macfarlane's strategic misbehavior furnished welcome relief," AP Television Writer Frazier Moore says.
9. TRIPS AND FALLS AT THE OSCARS
Best Actress winner Jennifer Lawrence stumbled on her way to the podium, and injured presenter Kristen Stewart hobbled onstage.
10. POUR ON THE OLIVE OIL
A five-year study finds people who ate Mediterranean-style diets had a 30 percent lower risk of cardiovascular problems.