LIMA, Peru — A Catholic official says the Vatican has removed a bishop in Peru amid allegations that he sexually abused minors.
Bishop Luis Bambaren told reporters Friday that 53-year-old Gabino Miranda had been removed as part of Pope Francis' "zero tolerance" policy against abuse.
Peruvian authorities said in a statement they are investigating the charges against Miranda, who is the second known bishop to be removed recently by the Vatican amid abuse allegations.
The Rev. Percy Quispe of the archdiocese of Ayacucho in Peru told The Associated Press Saturday that Miranda has not belonged to the Catholic Church since July but did not specify why he had left. Quispe said Miranda had departed Ayacucho that month.
Miranda had led the local episcopal youth commission.