Happy Thursday everyone, here's my Top 5 for December 10, 2009 from Len Berman at www.ThatsSports.com.
1. Quick Hits
* Pitcher Andy Pettitte reups with the Yankees. 1 year, $11.75 million.
* Word is the Red Sox are trading third baseman Mike Lowell to Texas.
* Talk about longevity. The Philadelphia Eagles have signed Coach Andy Reid to a 3 year extension. At the end of the contract in 2013 he will have coached the Eagles for 15 seasons.
* Forbes Magazine tabs the Los Angeles Lakers as the most valuable NBA team at $607 million.
* California Congressman Joe Baca says forget about that legislation that he proposed to honor Tiger Woods with a Congressional Gold Medal. Good call, Joe.
* Patriots quarterback Tom Brady and his wife, model Gisele Bundchen, are the proud parents of a baby boy.
2. Damn Yankees
So the Yankees pick up an all star center fielder and Yankee haters the world over just roll their eyes. And the Yankees didn't even use their checkbook to just outright buy somebody. They did what other teams do. They "built up" their youngsters, talking up how much a part of the future they are. And when other teams bit, they pounced on a trade.
The truth is, with the gap so huge between the haves and the have nots in baseball, the Yankees are widening the gulf between the haves and the haves!
3. A Piece of the Action
So with all the talk about Tiger Woods' sponsors, girlfriends, and future playing ability, what's in it for you and me? Well step right up and buy your Tiger Woods memorabilia. A collectible expert named Daryle Lambert told CNBC's Darren Rovell that "Tiger's stuff is only going to increase in value." What stuff? I guess he's talking about signed pictures, golf flags and other pieces of golf equipment. But in this "TMZ/tabloid" world, what will his driver's license go for? Old hotel room pass keys?
4. Crime and Punishment
Lets get this straight. You put on a sombrero and a poncho after you score a touchdown, as Chad Ochocinco of Cincinnati did, and it costs you a $30,000 fine from the NFL. The same weekend you take a cheap shot at an opponent which could threaten his career, as Flozell Adams of Dallas did, and it costs you $50,000. This outrages subscriber Micah T. He writes that it's a terrible example for kids. "Do whatever you want, then just pay us $50,000 and all your troubles will go away."
Maybe a suspension here or there would be good, then in the skewed world of NFL fines, violence wouldn't be worth just $20,000 more than clothing violations.
5. I've Got a Horse Right Here
Under the heading of ya' can't make this stuff up, there was a horse entered in the 6th race last Friday at Hollywood Park named Driveliketiger. But before the race the horse got scratched. There was no word on his exact injuries, and he wasn't talking. And no mares wielding golf clubs were seen in the vicinity.
And talk about comebacks. Driveliketiger finished in the money in the 2nd race yesterday. He placed third paying $2.60.
Happy Birthday: New York Jets lineman D'Brickashaw Ferguson. (Is there anyone else out there named D'Brickashaw?) 26.
Bonus Birthday: Everybody's favorite hairdo. The ex-Governor, Rod Blagojevich of Illinois. 53.
Today in Sports: New pitchers can no longer spitballs in the National League. Veterans, feel free to load 'em up. 1919.
Bonus Event: Bunny time! Hugh Hefner publishes the first Playboy Magazine, with Marilyn Monroe on the cover. 1953.