Happy Monday everyone, here's my Top 5 for January 25, 2010 from Len Berman at www.ThatsSports.com.
1. Quick Hits
* It'll be Indianapolis and New Orleans in Super Bowl XLIV February 7th in Miami.
* The Colts have been installed as 4 point favorites.
* With the Vikings losing, we are immediately subjected to speculation over the future of Brett Favre. Will his career end with that costly interception?
* It was a swell day all around for New York sports fans. The Knicks suffered their worst ever home loss, losing to Dallas 128-78.
* Kelly Kulick becomes the first woman to win a pro bowling title, beating the boys in Vegas.
* A-Rod does schtick. After receiving the Postseason MVP Award from the New York baseball writers, he said, "what's next, the good guy award?"
2. The Saints Go Marching In
How can you not root for the Saints? The city of New Orleans was nearly wiped off the map. Their football team has been mostly dismal since coming into the NFL in 1967. And they have now made it to their first ever Super Bowl. Maybe they are truly America's team. Having said that, they beat Minnesota last night in overtime without the Vikings touching the ball. There has never been an overtime in the Super Bowl. Do we really want the championship decided in a similar fashion, with only one team having a chance on offense?
3. Half a Loaf
The Jets have been in 4 AFC (AFL) Championship Games. They've led 3 of them at halftime. And we know how that has worked out. Again yesterday, the Jets were 30 minutes away from the Super Bowl, and again they couldn't hold on. After leading 17-6 they got shutout the rest of the way. It's easy to say the Jets will be back, but the last time it took them 11 years. You never know in sports. Just ask former Dolphins quarterback Dan Marino. He played in a Super Bowl in just his second season. He never made it back.
4. Buy Now!
Some Jets fans were concerned over all the perceived jinxes last week. Mark Sanchez on the cover of Sports Illustrated. The Jets selling AFC Championship merchandise as if they had already won. Was it a case of "premature exhilaration?" Remember the 2003 baseball playoffs? The Red Sox painted World Series logos on the field at Fenway. And then a guy named Aaron Boone screwed it all up. It turns out the Colts also offered AFC Championship merchandise last week. Maybe teams should start offering that stuff before the season begins. It's never too early to have your loyal fans part with their hard earned cash.
5. Changing Uniforms
Grant Desme made an interesting career choice. He is one of the top outfield prospects in the Oakland A's organization, but unlike most of today's athletes he's taking a massive voluntary pay cut. He's entering the priesthood. Instead of stepping up to the plate, he'll pass it around.
Happy Birthday: Jets Hall of Fame wide receiver Don Maynard. 75.
Bonus Birthday: Singer Alicia Keys. 29.
Today in Sports: Quarterback Phil Simms' nearly perfect game. The Giants win Super Bowl XXI, beating the Denver Broncos 39-20. 1987.
Bonus Event: The Beatles I Want to Hold Your Hand becomes their first #1 hit in the U.S. 1964.