Writing a memoir can be very challenging. Besides all that goes with the writing process of getting your story down on paper, there are also challenges such as where to start your story, how to tell your story in an engaging way, and which writing techniques to use so you can express yourself effectively.
Partnering with an experienced memoirist will help you articulate, strategize, and make significant gains in your memoir writing goals. Working with a writing coach, specifically a memoir writing coach, can be a very rewarding experience!
Before you partner with someone to help you get your memoir planned and drafted, ask yourself a few questions:
- Do I have writing goals that I can't seem to get accomplished?
- Do I have great ideas, yearning to be placed on paper, but become overwhelmed at the thought of moving forward or getting started?
- Do I need to develop a stronger voice, more consistent writing style, or a more structured schedule for my writing life?
- Do I need to overcome my "writing past"?
- Could I benefit from the help of someone who has already written and published a memoir, who will provide honest, structured and thoughtful feedback such as intended audience and story format and pacing?
How can working with a memoir coach help you, specifically?
A memoir coach can help you in a number of ways. When I work with my clients, we often tackle many issues that arise--from scheduling writing time (and teaching family members how to respect that sacred writing time) to more book-specific tasks such as choosing a structure for your memoir.
Here are just a few of the ways a memoir coach can help you:
- Identify, analyze, and prioritize your memoir writing goals
- Develop a writing schedule that works for you
- Set and reach your individual memoir writing goals
- Maintain focus on your memoir writing project
- Understand the memoir writing process, providing useful tools for making it work for you
- Overcome challenges that hinder your writing progress
- Improve your memoir writing skills through thoughtful, specific feedback and discussions
Do you have a memoir you are yearning to get out of your mind and share with the world? If the answer is yes, and if you are nervous about getting started, or stranded in the writing process, a memoir writing coach can help you tremendously!
Image courtesy of Stuart Miles at FreeDigitalPhotos.net