Sometimes a very simple, easy, healthy, and wholesome soup is what's required--for lunch, for dinner, or for breakfast! (My kids are big on eating soup for breakfast.) This soup takes about 30 minutes to make and only includes seven ingredients. It won't last long.
Sausage, Potato, and Cabbage Soup
- Olive oil
- 1 pound savory sausage (not sweet)
- 1 head savoy or napa Cabbage
- 6 large potatoes (or more smaller ones)
- 6-8 cups water
- Shredded Romano Cheese for garnish
- Pour some olive oil into the bottom of a soup pot, take the sausage out of its skin, and fry up the sausage until brown. A good browned sausage makes a better-tasting soup!
- Cut up (no need to peel!) the potatoes into soup-size bites and add to the meat to briefly sauté. My potatoes looked funny, since I happened to use pink ones! But any kind of potato will do!
- Rinse the cabbage and slice it up and add to the potato-sausage mixture. I prefer savoy or napa cabbage; their leaves are less waxy than other varieties and they seem to have a better texture and flavor for soup.
- Add the water and boil/simmer until the potatoes are done and the flavors have mixed.
- Add the salt to taste.
- Serve and sprinkle with grated Romano cheese!