By Lindsey Coco for GLAM4GOOD
What's the hottest hair trend right now? It's candy-colored hair! Sporting this style has a way of transforming any outfit into a fashion statement. It's a bold, stylish way to showcase your individuality and make everyone do a double take. But, before you break out the bleach, check out this very GLAM4GOOD guide to rocking this cool hair trend the right way!
HOW TO CHOOSE YOUR COLOR
• Pick a color you like and can wear easily. Stick to a "neutral" pastel color such as pink, peach, blue, violet, mint, etc. It will be easier to match your clothes and accessories with a softer color.
• Stick to one shade of color. If you want to get creative and dye your hair two different colors, be sure the colors blend well together -- such as blue and purple or blue and pink. Don't go for more than two colors.
• Make sure the color complements your skin tone. "Your skin tone is the basis to your hair so you want to make sure they complement one another," says Dr. Ngozi Etufugh. Does your skin have warm, more yellowish tone or does it have a cool, more pinkish tone? The more contrast between your hair color and skin tone, the more dramatic your look will appear. If you choose a hair color that is similar to your eye color or complements it, the combination will give a more natural look. It all depends on the look you are going for, not everyone wants the natural look.
• Consider different ways to highlight the hair. Think about whether you want to dye your hair one solid color or highlight it. Ombre gives a more natural blended look which starts with a darker color at the root of the hair to a lighter finish at the end using the same color tone.
• Make a consultation with a hairdresser. Choosing a hair color can be difficult and terrifying at the same time. If you're permanently dyeing your hair, you want to make sure you speak to your hairdresser about the color as well as the safest way to do it.
HOW TO MAINTAIN YOUR COLOR
To get candy-colored hair, you most likely have to bleach your hair. Bleaching your hair eliminates natural oils causing more breakage. Here are Dr. Etufugh's tips on how to restore your hair's health after bleaching.
• The colder the better. It is better to wash your hair with cold water.
• Use sulfate and paraben-free shampoo.
• Use a deep conditioning treatment for your hair. At least twice a week.
• Avoid washing your hair everyday. Try to go some time between washes. If your hair gets dirty easily, try dry shampoo -- it can be a lifesaver.
• Put vinegar in your hair after dyeing it. Research shows that applying vinegar to freshly dyed hair can help the color hold better.
• Limit the use of heating tools. Such as hair straighteners and curling irons.
• Use hair serums. Hair serums coat your hair and protect it from the heat caused when styling it. It also prevents everyone's worst nightmare: frizz!
HOW TO GET CANDY-COLORED HAIR WITHOUT DYEING IT
If breaking out the bleach is not your thing, try some of these alternatives to permanently dyeing your hair
• Hair Chalking. Hair chalking is a quick, simple and an inexpensive alternative to dyeing your hair. You can do it yourself at home and it washes out.
• Clip-on color hair extensions. These extensions will add that pop of color to your hair without the damage.