I hear it time after time with my high-end private consulting clients. They need to hire employees, yet they are not sure how to go about it.
Many make the same mistake of hiring employees without really thinking through what they want that person to accomplish.
In doing so, they are setting their new employee up for failure as well as wasting their own time plus the time of their current staff.
Before you actually hire someone you will need to go through the interview process. In order for this to take place, you need to write an advertisement that gets great people to respond and want to work for you and your company.
This is something that is actually good for you. It will make you really think about what responsibilities and tasks this person will work on long and short term.
But here's the problem: most people can't write a good job advertisement. They write the same ole mediocre ad everyone else has out there. And when you write a mediocre ad, you get mediocre people applying for that position.
When writing any advertisement you MUST incorporate the following:
• Make your company sound fascinating and innovative. This way you will attract people who are interesting, not boring.
• Let the candidates know whom they will be working with. If you are well known in your field, you will get a lot more candidates to choose from.
• Mention the location and the benefits of living in the location of your company. If you are by a beach or in the mountains, tell the reader it is a great surfing or biking area. This helps you attract active people.
• Mention the candidate has room for growth. Everyone wants to believe that they can grow with the company. This implies being able to make more money down the road.
• Mention the total compensation package not just salary range. This also includes things like "summer hours" and paid holidays.
• Let the reader know they will be working hard. This weeds out slackers from the start.
• Write the ad to stand out from the others out there. You have to be creative to attract creative people.
• Mention that you are an industry leader and the niche you are in. This way only people who have a real interest in your industry will apply.
The Perfect Job Advertisement
I have found that over the years, the one job my clients are always trying to fill is an in-house copywriter.
The top/A+ copywriters will always be free-lance and you should always be hiring them. However, it proves very valuable to have someone in-house for smaller and ad-hoc projects. Therefore, the best thing to do is to find a smart person who is persuasive and train them.
Below is a great example for an in-house copywriter:
If you want to:
• Jump-start your copywriting career . . .
• Get personally mentored by Danny Brown and other A+ freelance copywriters
• Learn the online marketing business from the inside out . . .
• Skyrocket your income to six figures faster than you ever dreamed possible . . .
This could be the lucky break you have been waiting for!
ABC Company, the leading online publishing company in the fields of alternative health is looking for in-house copywriters to join our team.
ABC Company is a forward thinking, innovative company with over 15 in-house, full time employees. Founded by Danny Brown, we are regarded by our colleagues and customers as the best in breakthrough ideas. We are located in beautiful Boca Raton, FL and are looking for copywriters who get it!
You might be the person we are on the lookout for if you are willing to:
• Write your fingers to the bone: Full disclosure . . . we only want someone who will do what it takes to get it right.
• Live and breathe direct response marketing: We are not concerned as much with journalism degrees as much as we are with persuasion tactics. If you've got them - show us!
• Do Whatever It Takes: To meet deadlines and work to constantly improve results.
• Live, breathe and sleep our philosophy and mission.
• Live or move to Boca Raton, FL: This is an in-house position. Our trendy office is in the heart of Boca and we are associated with some of the most successful information publishing and direct response marketers and companies in the world.
But that's not all . . .
You need to possess the following characteristics:
• Reliability - Are you dependable, resourceful and an experienced self-starter?
• Accountable - Do you follow through, meet deadlines and take ownership of your work?
• Positive mental attitude - Do you have lots of energy, common sense, manners and the willingness to go the extra mile?
And most importantly, we are looking for someone who is self-motivated and can sell well.
• Minimum of 1 year of copywriting and/or marketing experience preferred.
• BS/BA degree in marketing, communications, advertising, or business.
• Knowledge of ecommerce and internet-based business models.
• Experience in evaluating creative messages, analyzing results and optimizing campaigns.
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills.
• Experience with search engine, online advertising, and/or direct marketing strongly preferred.
OK - still interested?
Here's what you need to do to apply . . .
Send an email to: ABCCompany@gmail.com
You must send a cover letter detailing why you are a GREAT candidate. Remember this letter is your opportunity to shine (remember you are a copywriter). Please include your resume.
All resumes must be received by July 3, 2013.
Oh yeah - we offer an excellent employee benefit package that includes a 401K, paid holidays plus PTO time as well as health club reimbursement.
Notice how this ad stands out?
Next time you need to hire someone, make sure it is an ad that would GRAB your attention. If you wouldn't apply, why would anyone else?
Follow MaryEllen Tribby on Twitter: www.twitter.com/WorkingMomsOnly