Proposing marriage can be an overwhelming task. You have to find the perfect engagement ring, choose the best date, select a prime location, and then figure out how you are going to do it. You already know that your girlfriend has been dreaming of the day you will propose for her entire life, which is enough pressure as it is. Then you realize that every time you turn on the television you see Kim Kardashian's proposal, or a flash mob proposal, and then you think, how will I ever live up to her expectations? It may be a challenging feat, but if you follow the tips below you can have your own perfect marriage proposal.
1. Make sure you've found "the one." Yes, it sounds like simple advice, but the first thing you need to do is make sure that you have found the person you want to spend forever with. Remember, that is the face you will have to roll over and see day after day, year after year. It better be special! Sometimes people get caught up in the fact that they have been together for a long time so they think a proposal is naturally the next step. That is not why you should propose to someone, it should only be because you can't imagine your life without them.
2. Ask for her family's blessing. For some reason, people think that this old tradition is not necessary anymore. Asking for her family's blessing is a sign of respect, not only to her family but to her as well. Always make the effort to receive their blessing as it is a timeless tradition that will never go out of style. If her family disapproves, the decision is still ultimately yours, but you want to at least let her know that you tried.
3. Buy a ring. Some men think it is okay to propose without a ring. A ring is not only a tradition in a marriage proposal, but it also symbolizes the engagement and the start of a new chapter in your lives together. Do not propose without a ring. Of course you are nervous that she may not like the ring, so you think it might be better to wait and have her pick it out with you. However, you can figure out her style by asking her friends and family or even going to a jewelry store with her, she will drop hints if she is ready.
4. Have a plan for the proposal. So you asked permission and now you have the ring, what is the next step? The next step is to figure out how you will propose. Here is where you have to be the most creative. The first question everyone will ask her when she announces your engagement is, "How did he propose?" You have to give her an amazing story. Think about special aspects of your relationship, such as where you first met or what things you love to do together.
Based on those special moments, create a proposal idea that is personalized to her and your relationship. Never ever propose in a way that only you think is cool. For example, if you love NASCAR, that doesn't mean you should have your favorite race car driver put "Will you marry me?" on his car. Make it about her. There are Marriage Proposal Planners that create proposals for a living if you really need some help.
5. Enjoy your moment. Yes, this is a very stressful event, but don't forget that it is also a beautiful one. You found the love of your life and now you are going to ask her to marry you. Take the time to do all of your homework, come up with a great proposal, and on the day that you ask her to marry you, just relax! The wedding day will be all about her, this day is all about you. It is the one thing that you have control over. So just make sure you really take the time to take it all in and enjoy this beautiful moment.
Michele is a Romance Expert, who specializes in Romantic Date and Proposal Planning. She owns The Heart Bandits and has been featured on Fox News, Houston Chronicle, Orange County Register, NBC Los Angeles, and KTLA news. Contact The Heart Bandits to have them plan your romantic date or marriage proposal. For more information about The Heart Bandits, visit www.theheartbandits.com.