Parents are the worst. Actually, politicians are probably the worst. And other people's kids suck pretty bad too. And Nazis.
In fact, I changed my mind. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Nazis are really the worst.
But parents are still terrible. I knew it before I had a kid, and it's become even more apparent since I've joined their ranks.
Here's a list of some of the reasons why.
11 Things Everyone Hates About Parents
- Their kids.
- Their constant complaining about their ungrateful, undisciplined, un-sleeping, whiny, tantrum-throwing kids.
- Their constant bragging about their incredibly smart kids, or incredibly athletic kids, or incredibly cute kids. Guess what? I was smart and athletic and cute once too. Then I hit puberty.
- Their constant posting on Facebook and Instagram and Twitter and Pinterest about their kids. There's a reason I avoid you in real life; stop making me avoid you in fake life too.
- The griping about how expensive babysitters are. You know what's not expensive? CONDOMS.
- The constant discussions about children's TV and music and movies and books. I used to watch that junk too, when I was in college (read: wasted), but I didn't hold nonstop conversations about it. At least not conversations I can remember. I wish I couldn't remember the last time you brought up how much you hate "Caillou."
- We get it: you're tired. News flash: Everyone's tired. It's called Five-Hour Energy. Quit being a martyr.
- Their breathless worrying about video games and social media and twerking and sex and violence and alcohol and concussions and peanut allergies and we're out of hand sanitizer! I heard about this crazy thing the other day, it's called 200,000 YEARS OF HUMAN SURVIVAL. So take it down a notch, Chicken Little. Your kids will be fine.
- Their tax break.
- "I can't! I have to: pick up my kid/hang out with my kid/read to my kid/feed my kid/not drink because of my kid/pretend I care all bout my kid's recital or baseball game or doctor appointment/use my kid as an excuse to not have fun because I'm super lame now."
- "I can never go to the movies! Waaaah!" You know who can go to the movies? CONDOMS.
- BONUS: Their ridiculous, obnoxious, self-righteous, totally unsupportable belief that they're a better parent than you.
- DOUBLE BONUS: Every single thing on this site.
As a parent myself, I'm not exempt from any of these, particularly numbers 5, 6 and 10. And trust me, I hate myself too.
Pretty sure my kid hates parents too, especially
after his made him wear this costume one Halloween.
Read more from Mike Julianelle at Dad and Buried.