Leah was only 23 years old when her mother and father died from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning leaking from a water heater in their home in Africa in 2007. Though their deaths were sudden, shocking and devastating, Leah has developed, thrived and maintained a close connection to their memories.
Children never wonder why there is food on the table, or why they have coats and boots to keep their feet dry in the winter. We think a house with heat comes by magic. It isn't until adulthood, when we're parents ourselves in a dual-income family with half the children that my mother had, that we wonder in disbelief, how did she do it all and alone?