When the Original Six played, Phil and Tony Esposito were household names, and Tony's autograph was on our street hockey sticks and "Jesus Saved" but Phil "scored on the rebound."
The strange and rare reality of Tebow -- whom the New York Jets quite literally could not give away -- is that the media love to cover him, to criticize him, but perhaps most importantly, to try to make sense of him.
Bill Belichick has a fondness for versatility, and Tebow has the physical attributes to be a contributor on the field. So what will his role be in New England?
Stop with the whole, "Why is it OK to make fun of Tim Tebow for being a good Christian but we commend Jason Collins for being gay?" thing. When Tim Tebow can legally get fired in 29 states simply for being a Christian, then we'll talk.
Rob Gronkowski is, perhaps, one of the best tight ends to play the game and a likely hall of famer. Predictably, we have seen a lot of Rob this off-season, mostly featured in stories about his "off-the-field" antics.
When I was a sports-obsessed child with a big secret, I would lie awake at night thinking about how cool it would be for one of my beloved Denver Broncos to tell the world that he was just like me. I have been dreaming of an openly gay active athlete in one of the big four team sports for a long time.
The Boston Herald reports that Tom Brady was so happy at the Kentucky Derby because he won around $25,000 on Orb.
In the NBA playoffs both the Houston Rockets and the Brooklyn Nets staved off elimination.
Tim Tebow didn't create this circus, and his livelihood and professional career shouldn't be punished for it.
Quarterback Tim Tebow has been released by the Jets. But the Jets quarterback circus remains in town.
I'm doing what little I can to try and reverse the bad information and theology that leads Christians to think you can "pray the gay away," or use the Bible to justify treating gay people like second class citizens. But you Tim, you could do so much.
What has changed is that the views of right-wing Christians are now officially out of step with the growing majority of Americans -- including, apparently, Tim Tebow.
The larger problem, however, isn't the glaring hypocrisy. It is that players may feel, as I did as a sophomore, compelled to worship or face consequences.
A Harris poll shows that the NFL popularity is at an all time high. 59 percent of the population says they follow pro football. The other 41 percent follow the Browns.
I realize that New York City is a tough town to play in because it is the media capital or the world and all that, but does it have to be that way? Can compassion and optimism at least be considered?
What say you, 2012? Along with reviewing the big, important Colorado headlines, Jared and Ron look back fondly at the many ridiculous, overblown, laughable, stupido news stories of the year.