It's that time of year for barbecues, beach days and bikinis! With the holiday weekend just around the corner we look for last-minute ways to shape up. This fool-proof plan will whittle the waist, strengthen the muscles and boost your metabolism. Each day you will get a new workout with a different focus. Your week will look like this:
Day 1: Upper Body
Day 2: Cardio
Day 3: Lower Body
Day 4: Cardio
Day 5: Core
Day 6: Yoga
Day 7: Fun Activity
Day 1: Upper Body
How it Works: Perform 10 reps of each exercise. Repeat the entire series three times through.
Equipment Required: One barbell and one medicine ball (10 to 20 pounds)
1. Bring feet hip-width apart and hold the barbell in front of hips. Bend knees, shift hips back and bring torso close to parallel with the ground.
2. Bend elbows and draw bar up to chest height. Draw shoulder blades together and keep chest up.
3. Slowly extend arms back to straight then repeat the movement. Keep glutes and core engaged the entire time.
1. Lie on your back with knees bent and elbows directly out from shoulders. Hold the medicine ball in both hands. Throw ball as high up as possible, directly above your chest.
2. Return ball back to center and repeat movement. Maintain a neutral spine and strong core the entire time.
Medicine Ball Pushups:
1. Come into a pushup position with hands directly out from shoulders and feet hip-width apart. Place medicine ball directly under right hand. Bend elbows and lower entire body toward the floor in one motion.
2. Once you come to your lowest point, press through your hands to come all the way back up to original position. Make sure you do not let your hips sink and always keep legs engaged.
3. Repeat the movement for 10 reps then move the medicine ball into the other hand. Perform 10 more reps.
1. Hold barbell with hands slightly wider than shoulder width. Bring bar overhead with shoulders drawn away from the ears. Keep your chest up and hips neutral.
2. Hold barbell in a static position for 30 seconds to one minute. Maintain strong posture and straight arms the entire time.