Written by Kirsten Hudson
Nothing brings out the essence of fall like raking leaves... just kidding. You thought I was going to say, "like a pumpkin spice latte," didn't ya? Well, it's true. Raking leaves may be one of the (only!?) downsides to fall, but there's nothing about fall and pumpkin spice lattes that doesn't blend perfectly.
The crisp autumn weather makes drinking coffee an everyday treat and if that delicious brew also includes this season's favorite squash -- the pumpkin -- well that's all the better. And you don't even have to go to Starbucks to get a scrumptious pumpkin spice latte. With this recipe, you can make, dare I say, a better one at home. All you need are a few organic ingredients. And, hey, maybe you can even talk your significant other into being your own personal barista.
This pumpkin spice latte recipe, adapted from The Kitchn, combines real organic pumpkin with an all-around autumn combination of flavors and spices. Test out this fall-in-a-mug for yourself.
Organic Pumpkin Spice Latte
(Makes 1-2 servings)
• 2 cups organic milk
(or your favorite non-dairy alternative)
• 2 tablespoons organic canned pumpkin
• 1 tablespoons organic sugar
• 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
• 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or make your own combination using cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice)
• 1-2 shots espresso (or 1/2 cup of strong brewed organic coffee)
1. In a saucepan combine milk, pumpkin and sugar. Cook the mixture on medium heat and stir until steaming.
2. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and spice, and then transfer to a blender and process for 15 seconds until the mixture is foamy. If you don't have a blender, don't worry about it -- just use those muscles and whisk the mixture with a wire whisk until it froths.
3. Pour your tasty brew into a large mug or two mugs (if you feel like sharing). Then add the espresso or coffee.
Optional: Top your coffee with homemade whipped cream and sprinkle pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg or cinnamon on top.
image: Cascadian Farm
Follow Kirsten on Twitter @kirsten_hudson
The Morning Email helps you start your workday with everything you need to know: breaking news, entertainment and a dash of fun. Learn more