1) In a 2002 memo, what words did Alberto Gonzales use to describe sections of the Geneva Conventions prohibiting torture?
a) "Cute" and "outdated."
b) "Endearing" and "archaic."
c) "Quaint" and "obsolete."
2) True or false? Four days after Alberto Gonzales gave one of the most disastrous performances in the history of testimony before the Senate judiciary committee, replete with evasions and prevarications, George W. Bush announced that his confidence in him had "dropped precipitately."
Who said what about Alberto Gonzales?
3) Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-NE)
4) Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY)
5) Rep. David Obey (D-WI)
a) "He tells the half truth, the partial truth and everything but the truth."
b) "He has lost the moral authority to lead."
c) "He's one sneaky, lying S.O.B., to put it bluntly."
6) Two of these statements were made by Alberto Gonzales in 2006. Which one was uttered this year?
a) When it comes to torture, "It's difficult to decide what is appropriate and what is allowed under law."
b) The Constitution provides "no express grant" of habeas corpus, but merely a "prohibition against taking it away."
c) Though Al Qaeda operatives must assume that their phone calls are being tapped, a New York Times report confirming the practice was so harmful to U.S. security that the paper might be prosecuted for publishing it because "if they're not reminded about it all the time in newspapers and in stories, they sometimes forget."
7) What was Alberto Gonzales not suspected of lying to the Senate judiciary committee about in 2007?
a) George W. Bush's warrantless spying program and his efforts to bully bed-ridden John Ashcroft into signing off on it.
b) The politically motivated firings of eight U.S. attorneys.
c) His cavalier recommendations to then-Texas governor George W. Bush against clemency for every death row inmate regardless of any extenuating circumstances, of which there were many, and his helping to get Bush out of jury duty in 1996 in order to keep his drunk-driving arrests secret.
8) Of which previous attorney general who resigned in disgrace did the Washington Post write, "[He] leaves a smudge wherever he goes"?
a) Nixon's Richard Kleindienst
b) Reagan's Ed Meese
c) Nixon's John Mitchell
9) What did Washington Post reporter Dana Milbank say was the reason Gonzales quit?
a) "He wanted to leave while Jon Stewart was on vacation."
b) "His departure while Congress is not in session allows Bush to name anyone he wants as attorney general in a recess appointment with no Senate approval required."
c) "He wanted to spend more time spying on his own family."
2) False, he said his confidence had "increased"
Follow Paul Slansky on Twitter: www.twitter.com/slansky