I am a fitness writer and if you read my rants with any regularity, you know that they are irregular in a consistent way: I tend to filter everything I see in my daily life through the filter of fitness. Fitness can be a metaphor for just about anything in life, especially if you are slightly optimistic like me.
And since I also love getting new things -- and always look forward to getting newly-elected officials -- I've been feeling patriotically overstimulated lately, to the point that my sleep patterns are being affected. Blame my lack of sleep, then, for the far-stretched, free association comparison list below if you want. But I kind of like it. See if you agree.
What Exercise, Voting and Sex Have in Common:
· It's good for you.
· It makes you feel like you are doing something worthwhile.
· You might not want to take the time to do it but you always feel better after you do.
· Some people don't get excited about it at all. Others wish they could do it several times in one day.
· Some people think they'll never recover if they don't get exactly what they wanted out of it. But they do.
· The more you do it the more you want to do it. The less you do it the less you want to do it.
Some rare people have never done it in their entire lives -- and don't want to, either.
· Sometimes you do it for yourself. Sometimes you do it for your loved ones. Sometimes you do it because you think it will bring you change.
· You can do it alone or with many people.
· It's free.
· You can do it in any town but usually you do it in your hometown.
· You can bring your dog with you, but he usually has to wait outside until you're done.
· Sometimes it makes you feel really great. Occasionally it can make you ecstatic. Mostly it's just routine.
· Most people prefer to do it in private but some like an audience.
· If you do it right, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes.
· If you are lucky, it gets you the results that you've dreamed of.
And on that note, please enjoy this glorious campaign-free day!
Follow Penny Love Hoff on Twitter: www.twitter.com/pennyhoff