Today, Vimeo opened submissions for their first annual Vimeo Festival & Awards. The ceremony is meant to honor and reward the best videos on the Internet. Vimeo is not limiting submissions to the US alone -- they recognize that there is a strong international community and welcome all submissions.
"The Vimeo Festival & Awards is an acknowledgement of--and showcase for-- the unprecedented level of creativity, skill and innovation coming from online video today," said Dae Mellencamp, Vimeo's General Manager. "We believe that the awards will not only honor the best work but, by pairing it with a festival, will also bring creative online communities together to learn from and be inspired by each other."
The Vimeo Awards will be live from New York. The festival will take place October 8th through the 9th (in New York City). The two-day affair is filled with screenings, workshops and panel discussions. The winner receives a $25,000 grant to produce new work.
These are the categories:
- The Vimeo Award: Best of all categories. Winner to receive $25,000 grant to produce new work
- Narrative: Live-action narrative fiction told through the medium of film/video
- Documentary: Short films/videos that seek to document compelling actuality or reality
- Animation: A simulation of movement created by displaying a series of pictures or frames
- Experimental: Short films/videos that are often characterized by the absence of a linear narrative
- Music Video: Short films/videos that accompany a complete piece of music or song
- Motion Graphics: The use of the principles of graphic design to create a film or video using animation or filmic techniques
- Remix: A film/video that combines elements such as sounds and pictures of other works to create a metamorphic work
- Captured: Videos that capture an artistic expression or performance
- Original Series: A periodically released collection of original episodic content
- The Feature Presentation Honorary Award: Honoring the vanguard and innovative release of unique feature film online (Nominations accepted)
- Digital Maverick Honorary Award: Honoring pioneering spirit in the world of online video.
From what I am told there might be as many as twenty-five judges but here is a short list:
- Adam Quirk
- Morgan Spurlock
- David Lynch
- Nabil Elderkin
- DJ Spooky
- Nicholas Schmerkin
- Doug Pray
- Nick Campbell
- Fred Seibert
- Roman Coppola
- Justin Cone
- Ree Treweek of the Blackheart Gang
- Jose Luis de Vicente
- Vincent Laforet
- Lucy Walker
I am glad to see that Vincent Laforet is part of this panel of judges. He is one of the contest judges for "The Story Beyond The Still
." This is a HD video contest sponsored by Canon -- some great work being presented at this contest.
If you wish to submit your video then do so between June 3, 2010 and July 31, 2010.You can get a full list of the rules by clicking here. You can get submit or nominate video's on the official Vimeo Festival and Awards site.
Follow Ramon Nuez on Twitter: