Valentine's Day does not have to be about your one and only -- that's the traditional way, but it's limited. What if Valentine's Day was a time to celebrate LOVE and the many ways it can show up? Here are seven easy ideas to expand the feeling of love. How many can you take on?
1. Do something nice for yourself: The more you love yourself, the more love you have to share with others. What can you do to remind yourself that you are loved... by you!? What would bring a smile to your face? Indulge yourself -- this is the perfect excuse!
2. Celebrate someone close to you: No, it does not have to be a significant other. How about a good friend, someone who sees all you are and all you can be. Whoever you decide to spend time with, use this moment to celebrate each other's enoughness, talents and dreams. Set the tone for the months ahead.
3. Remember someone far away: Send an expression of love to someone you do not see very often. Whether in a phone call, card or text, let them know how much you appreciate having them in your life and why. You will both feel SO good.
4. Practice Guerilla love: Give an uplifting note to a random stranger -- you will know the right person. Imagine how someone would feel if they receive a message like "Remember how awesome you are," or "You have a beautiful smile."
5. Express love to a pet: Animals will have no clue that it's Valentine's Day -- their job is to be in the moment and give love every day. Let them know how much their daily unconditional love means with extra pats or a special treat. It will make you smile.
6. Give some love to where you are: Use the day to notice and appreciate a bit of nature. Whether it's that gorgeous tree that you pass everyday on your way to work, a plant in your kitchen, or a ray of sunshine poking through the clouds, remember that there is beauty everywhere.
7. Love your life wholeheartedly: We often take it for granted, this idea of waking up another day. Yet, each morning opens us up to fresh opportunities to discover the love inside ourselves, to express it to others and to be loved. In the word of Gandhi, "Where there is love, there is life." Feel it, share it, and take in the miracle of each new day.
What's your favorite expression of love and how many are you willing to take on?