Music has been part of my life as long as I can remember. I was never one of those who followed many television shows and as a kid you could most often find me in my room listening to music instead of watching cartoons.
I'm not someone who likes one style of music either. I'm an equal opportunity listener. In fact, there are few things I just won't listen to.
So Grammy night is always a day I look forward to. They have always had a unique way of pairing artists and I often find that I could watch for hours more once it's over.
This year however left me scratching my head by some of what I saw. Almost as if I had seen some of it before...
In the Bad department:
• Cyndi Lauper, I was such a huge fan of yours growing up. She's So Unusual perfectly describes your look and lack of ability to read cue cards to introduce the next performer.
• Robin Thicke, so debonair yet cannot remember that he is wearing Giorgio Armani on the red carpet?
• Ozzy Osborne walking on stage looking like he is not quite sure why he is there? Oh yes, to introduce Ringo Starr! Uhhh
• Was it the night of the hat and only some got the memo? Pharrell, Madonna, Willie (OK, Willie is supposed to wear a hat) and Yoko Ono? This is the Grammys, not the Kentucky Derby.
• Speaking of hats... Pharrell, are you thinking Park Ranger is your next gig in case this one doesn't work out? Yikes!
• Daft Punk -- EDM is injecting life back into the music industry. Everyone was on their feet at the Staple Center when they took the stage.
• Macklemore & Ryan Lewis -- Taking the stage and defending marriage equality like you did. "This is f^&cking awesome." Queen Latifah officiated 33 couples live. Wait, is that legit?
• I guess by now he's a pro at giving acceptance speeches. How many times have we seen performers/actors forget to thank their better half when listing off all they are thankful for. Jay-Z giving a lot of thanks to Beyonce when accepting his award for Holy Grail
• Beyonce's opening act with a little splash of Jay-Z = Amazing!
• Lorde's acceptance speech (or lack thereof) for Royals. The 17-year-old was too stunned to think of much to say, which said it all.
What were they thinking?
• We all love Madonna as you never know what she will do next. However, her diamond grills and pimp cane?
• Pink: I loved your performance of "Glitter in the Air" at the 2010 Grammy Awards. It was amazing! Alas, we have a redux for "Try"? Any thoughts of Cirque du Soleil in your future?
• Taylor Swift head banging on the piano to "All Too Well"? Save that for Metallica.
• Pairing Robin Thicke and Chicago?
• Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings and BLAKE SHELTON?
I think gone are the days when the show is more about the award than the performance. At least we didn't see Paul McCartney twerking to Queenie Eye!
The afterparties were hopping though!
CeeLo Green hosted a pre-party at RivaBella in West Hollywood on Saturday, while Toni Braxton and family hosted an afterparty in Los Angeles.
CeeLo Green enjoying a CIROC toast (with girlfriend) at the Primary Wave Music Pre-Grammy Party at RivaBella in West Hollywood on Saturday." -- Photo Credit: Garry Sun
Grammy nominated & "Braxton Family Values" reality star, Tamar Braxton, celebrated with CÎROC shots with mom and her sisters, including legendary icon sister, Toni Braxton, at her private friends and family afterparty in Los Angeles. -- Photo Credit: All Access Photo
Follow Reyne Haines on Twitter: www.twitter.com/ReyneHaines