With the new year saying hello to each of us, a slew of new artists from all around the world will be doing the same. Here is a list of 15 acts, many from the UK, as they prepare to invade your ears and hearts in the new year.
1. Chapel Club: Hailing from London and with a sound that is perfect for the dark and rainy city, one that is reminiscent of Echo & the Bunnymen meets Joy Division, Chapel Club are a band that will appeal to various music fans from various generations. With the bands debut, Palace, arriving later this month, expect to hear a lot more about them.
2. The Vaccines: Another big band from the UK, they have been getting much buzz back home and are set to come across the pond for the first time. This surf-rock band that some have dubbed "The next Libertines" or "The new British Strokes."
3. Glasser: This LA singer has a touching voice and mysterious sound but it is nothing but sheer talent. She is someone that will have people stop and go "wow," more than she has already done so far.
4. Hank and Cupcakes: The most fun you will have listening to any band in the new year -- guaranteed! The Israel via Brooklyn husband and wife duo are a two person Gogol Bordello and they will have you stomping across the aisles.
5. Gordon Voidwell: Bronx-born, Princeton-educated and funky showmanship is what makes up Gordon Voidwell. One hell of a live performer and one hell of an entertainer, might be the biggest break out of 2011 for any male solo artist this year. Combining the theatrics of James Brown and the funk of Prince mixed with the sound of 80's, Gordon Voidwell is a trip inside and out.
6. Fitz and the Tantrums: Here is a band that can rival the great Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, very soulful and very funky but mixed with the flair of The Heavy, Fitz and the Tantrums are a band to keep an eye out for.
7. La Femme: Surf-rock done French style. As sweet as a french pastry but as soothing as a glass of wine, La Femme are taking lo-fi to a whole new level.
8. Frankie and the Heartstrings: Another British band that has their entire country keeping an eye on them. Frankie and the Heartstrings are rock and roll at its best. With the finesse of the early Stones and the fury of Oasis, Frankie and the Heartstrings are an essential British export.
9. Clare Maguire: Adele, Duffy, Amy Winehouse -- all great female British singers. Meet the next! Claire Maguire is finally set to make her way into the US and fans better be ready, she is going to take you all by surprise.
10. The Heartbreaks: If Frankie and the Heartstrings are an essential British export and band, The Heartbreaks are the essential Manchester band for the new millennium. Taking queues from The Smiths, Oasis, Stone Roses and even Scotland's Orange Juice, The Heartbreaks are taking surf rock and Manchester music and putting their own stylish spin on it.
11. Exit Calm: Lately, this band has been our new obsession. From our December Rising Artist to our latest Quick Spin review, Exit Calm are an atmospheric band that are going to wrap their arms around the universe.
12. Mona: The best British band in America! This Nashville four piece is making waves across the pond (sounds like the early footing of another Nashville four piece, Kings of Leon). However, instead of sounding and looking like a Southern rock band, Mona look and sound like Glasvegas meets Echo and the Bunnymen.
13. Joy Formidable: This Welsh three piece is becoming the most exciting thing to come from Wales since the days of Stereophonics hayday. However, front woman Ritzy Bryan is proving she can play hard with the boys and win every time.
14. Flats: London is calling and they are saying "we have the next GREAT British punk band." Taking pages from punks prime, Flats are the first real punk band to emerge from anywhere in ages. Brutal, powerful and outspoken, Flats are hear to get in your face and make you pay attention.
15. Tennis: This husband and wife duo shook the indie world a bit by storm with their first singles over the summer, but their full length is what is going to make people embrace them more than they have. Lo-fi surf-rock that is going to make you want to travel the world and never look back!
This Article Can Also Be Found On www.officiallyayuppie.com
Follow Salvatore Bono on Twitter: www.twitter.com/yuppieblog