1. Taking advantage of slaves and brutalizing them causes each individual to have responsibility.
2. The first slave rebellion in 1526 was completely successful. The Africans stayed, the Spanish went back home.
3. Christians were made slaves in Northern Africa by muslims.”
“John Thornton has written extensively about slavery in Africa before the arrival of the European colonists. You can also read "Slavery and Social Death" by Orlando Patterson regarding the centuries of slave trading in Europe. In fact, "slave" comes from the Slavic peoples who were enslaved.”
ThePowerfulG23 on Dec 6, 2013 at 15:41:32
“What does this has to do with the African Translative Slave Trade to North America?”
“1. Blacks were very quickly prohibited from owning whites, by law.
2. Blacks were instrumental in gaining their own freedom. The Emancipation Proclamation was issued to allow blacks to serve in the Union army and gain the high moral ground, to win the war.
3. There were very few "white slaves." There were many white indentured servants, but their terms of service were limited and they were legally entitled to freedom payments at the end of their terms.”
Bursting Bubbles on Dec 6, 2013 at 23:54:30
“1. How did whites right the laws in africa back then?
2, No, there were almost no slave rebellions in the south that had any momentum prior to the civil war in the united states
3. No, there were literally a million white slaves owned by blacks in africa.”
“There were free blacks in the North since the 17th century, as well.”
salesdude on Dec 6, 2013 at 23:44:28
“Characterizing blacks in the North as "free blacks" is a misnomer since legalized slavery did not exist in the northern states and black people who lived in those states were simply citizens of those states.”
“The joggers aren't too bad, you just have to watch out for them running right in front of your car like they don't see you. The bicyclists are much worse. This morning a bus almost hit one as she made her right turn inside the right turn of the bus. It is a bus! You can't see it?”
LATEACHER1X on Dec 8, 2013 at 22:12:38
“Of all the obnoxious, greedy narcissists in LA, you pick on a bicyclist?! Maybe the guy is trying to do his part for the environment by not polluting with a gas guzzling machine.”
“My favorite Joan Didion moment was when I was driving back from Atascadero after saying goodbye to my mother for the last time, listening to "The Year of Magical Thinking" on CD, and just at the end, a group of 30 motorcycle riders came blasting by, and I couldn't hear the end. PCH lives!”
Nov 27, 2013 at 11:52:59
“They messed with the wrong guy. Police in LA County are on an excessive binge of ticket-writing, to get their share of the $500 million in ticket revenue in California every year. Then if the slightest thing goes wrong, they freak out.”