I have a simple philosophy: I was blessed with this body and this shape, so
I will embrace it - wholeheartedly, and with gratitude.
Throughout my entire life, I have been a full figured woman (some times fuller than other times). With a large curvy figure and the tendency to gain weight, I knew that maintaining a healthy body image could be a life-long struggle for me. I could be pressured to live by other people's realities. I could strive to be a size zero, four, five, or even 10. But, as a full hourglass and a half, I decided to live my life to the fullest, with happiness and with self-acceptance, flaunting my curves from New York City to the runways of Paris.
I entered the glamorous world of fashion as a make up artist, with the incredible opportunity to work on grand and creative shows for designer Thierry Mugler. My career took off and I worked throughout Fashion Week in Paris on shows for designers from John Galliano to Chanel. I was thrilled to be among designers, showing off both my makeup skills and bold personal style: big and perfectly coifed hair, fabulous bustiers that showed off my curves, jet-black hair, red fingernails and lips, and of course, flawless makeup. When I attended a Vivienne Westwood show in 1992, the famous and talented Jean Paul Gaultier sat across the runway from me. Then, after the show, some chit-chatting, and a wonderful dinner, Gaultier asked me to be in one of his shows. He wanted to design clothing for my shape and I couldn't wait to be acknowledged for my size and sexiness!
As a model I had amazing experiences finding a fabulous personal style, meeting wonderful people, and embracing my sexy, full figured size. I learned to take charge of my life, be confident in my skin, and understand the shape of my body. We are not all born to be or look like super models, but we are all just as sexy and beautiful. My new book, Size Sexy, is my chance to share my philosophy and beauty tips with women of every size. Full figured women must refuse to be discriminated against based on size and we must remove the terms "fat girl" and "plus size" from our vocabulary. Women need to learn that while we're all built differently, we can all look good, feel good, and be happy!
So, get yourself a new stylish look and stop hiding. You are beautiful and let the world know it. Remember, happy and healthy does not mean thin! Here are tips I'd love to share on how to pick the right clothing to make you look feminine, confident, sexy, and glamorous!
* Figure out your body type and stop wearing baggy, shapeless, and dull clothes. Most size sexy women are shaped like Apples, Pears, Triangles or Hourglasses. Assess your body in a full length mirror and learn it! Knowing your body shape helps you select a wardrobe that flatters your assets and minimizes the areas that are less trim.
* Then, flaunt your assets. If you have a small waist and trim ribcage, wear sweaters or jackets that button just under your bust line. Also, wear belts to define your waistline and emphasize those fabulous curves. Do you have fantastic shoulders? Wear off-the-shoulder tops and brush your hair back to emphasize your bare shoulders. If your bust line is your best asset, wear V-necks and formfitting clothes that glide over, but do not cling to your breasts.
* Hide your challenges. Every body shape has certain challenges, but some of my tips work for all figures. Avoid shapeless and bulky clothing. This means no bubble skirts, bulky sweaters, or loose fitting tunics. These will make you look bigger rather than smaller, and we want to compliment and accentuate the body you have!
* Think about your personal style. How would your friends describe your sense of style? What are your favorite, classic items of clothing? How many pairs of shoes do you own? These answers will help you become more aware of and focused on your image so you can learn to make the impression to desire to make.
* Clean out your closet. Be honest with yourself about each item of clothing. In order to begin the journey to your new sexy and fabulously dressed you, get rid of the old stuff. Is it cheap? Cheap clothing often falls apart so think about clothes as an investment. Is it out-of-date? A fashionable woman never looks dated!
* And most importantly, shift your attitude. There is so much more to you than your size -- so free yourself from it! Be size sexy and remember self-acceptance and a positive attitude make you confident, successful, and happy. It is time that full-figured women rule!
When you project a positive attitude to others, it shows you have strength, self-acceptance, and that nothing makes you feel insecure (because you won't allow it!). Life goes by fast, so now is the time to start living your life to the fullest. Don't wait until you're a certain size to lead a happy, productive life! No more waiting--live now.