No doubt, a severe food allergy is scary. But it's also relatively rare. A much more common scenario is an adult with a low-grade food allergy to say, gluten, who never pinpoints the cause of his misery.
"Pine nut mouth" usually develops a day or two after eating the nuts and that's exactly what happened to me! Almost 48 hours after the last bite of my apple and pine nut tart came the ill-tasting wine and then several days of hideous heavy metal tastes in my mouth.
If you want your kid to have a celebratory cupcake, I hope he or she enjoys it with gusto at your private birthday party. But can you also respect the rights of those of us who are fighting to keep our children healthy.
The sugar or gluten present in candy can make this holiday less than enjoyable for your little one. All is not lost -- there are still many options available, regardless of the limitations he or she may have.
As the parent of a child with multiple anaphylactic allergies, I've learned that any delay in treatment of anaphylaxis can cost my child his life. But what if a child shows signs of anaphylaxis and an EpiPen isn't readily available?
The federal government has no problem slapping graphic warning labels on a pack of cigarettes; yet when it comes to something that affects all of us -- the food we eat every day -- we're left playing Russian roulette.