I am in the process of making the shift from corporate crusader to entrepreneur. A shift, that in my head, is a done deal. It's something I could have done a long time ago except for one giant hurdle standing in my way.
For most of my life, my overdeveloped inner critic ruled the roost.
I did what I was supposed to do.
I followed the rules.
I challenged nothing.
I just went with the tide.
All my big ideas fell to the wayside as I systematically checked off the boxes of an average life.
Except I'm not average. None of us are.
We have unique skills and dreams that are meant to be shared with the world around us.
For 10 years I have held the vision of teaching people how to improve their lives and businesses by honing their mindset and leadership skills.
I had a vision of leaders standing confidently for what they believe, making impact in the world around them, and sharing their inspiring messages -- whether this meant leading in their business, career, or relationships.
And for 10 years, I couldn't get started. I didn't know how or why or what was standing in my way. I over thought myself in circles trying to move past what was blocking me.
Until I realized what was blocking me was ME and man, that really pissed me off. I look back on the younger, rule following, terrified version of me with regret. Why couldn't you just get out of your own way, follow less rules, be a little braver?
So here is what I would tell my younger, less confident self.
You are standing in the way of your own success. Here's why:
- You aren't letting yourself fail. This is so painful and scary but the truth is, success only comes through failure.
- You aren't thinking BIG picture.
- You don't connect with your why every day. We live in a busy world with lots of information coming at us daily. It's easy to lose sight of why we have chosen this path.
- You haven't challenged yourself to think BIGGER. Go beyond yourself. What's the whole truth?
- You aren't surrounding yourself with the right people. If you want to be a leader, surround yourself with leaders, people who think different, who think bigger.
- You don't have a daily mindset practice. You need to get into your head and sort it out, everyday. Challenge yourself to work through resistance and fear.
- You don't prioritize personal development.
- You're too focused on the outcome. Step back and check in with your purpose and why you are on this journey.
- You're not investing in yourself and your dream.
- You're not focused in your investments (shiny object syndrome).
- You don't ask for help.
- You aren't managing yourself like the asset you are. You're all you have. Practice self-care.
- You're not developing customized habits that allow you to perform at a high level. Consistency wins every time. Habits help you stay consistent.
- You're not leveraging ALL of you. This includes but not limited to your skills, experiences, unique talents, interests, and passions.
If I want success, I know today that all I need to do is review this list regularly and adjust my course where necessary.
What about you? How are you standing in the way of your own success?