There is a term in used in yoga teachings, originating from Buddhism, called Monkey Mind. When a person jumps from thought to thought like a monkey jumps from tree to tree they have monkey mind. According to Zen Buddhist tradition, the untrained mind is like a cluttered room filled with wild screaming monkeys running loose in your head. If you feel unsettled, restless, inconstant, confused, indecisive, or uncontrollable, that's monkey mind.
Rod Blagojevich, the former Governor of Illinois is a poster child for monkey mind. It seems he is a match for his astrology. Born in Chicago, Illinois, on December 10, 1956 sits Rod not only in the year but the month of the monkey too! Chinese astrology says a double monkey wants to wheel and deal. Monkeys tend to be accident prone due to a lack of high morals. They create a world of their own device and will address nothing outside that. Nothing but his world is the real world. The monkey wants to control. It wants life to go his way. Chinese astrology says this year is a good time for Rod to travel but wealth is running out. Rod's Chinese element is fire. A fire monkey, that pretty much says it all.
10 facts about Monkey Mind and Blago
1. If you're running around doing interviews on The View, The Tonight Show, and my personal favorite, The Rachel Maddow show, and you don't have anything groundbreaking to say, or a book coming out, you have monkey mind.
2. Gum chewing is an ally of monkey mind.
3. If you say you are the Anti-Nixon for more than one interview you have monkey mind.
4. If you cut off Rachel Maddow because you like the sound of your own voice and are busy incriminating yourself, you have monkey mind.
5. Monkey mind can be cured with a regular meditation practice. Watch the video for Blago's routine.
6. If you are doing everything else besides focusing on your upcoming trial, you have monkey mind.
7. If Dave Letterman says, "I would not give this guy's trouble to a monkey on a rock," about you, you probably have monkey mind.
8. If you're thinking about playing yourself in the TV movie version of your life that hasn't been thought up by anyone but you, you probably have monkey mind.
9. We all have monkey mind sometimes.
10. Monkey mind may be falsely diagnosed as OCD or AD/HD. A restless mind can be calmed with meditation.
Follow Tara Stiles on Twitter: www.twitter.com/tarastiles