- Claiming to have dodged sniper fire when it didn't exist
- Stealing a story about a cross drawn in the dirt
- Adding a personal request from mother Teresa to an adoption story
- Repeated denials and flip flopping about votes that are found in public records
- Sexual activities with a mistress in the oval office
- Spending $80,000 on call girls
- Fabricating information to justify war
- Unethical and illegal insider political deals for money or influence
- Sacrificing family privacy and childhoods for power
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
As I searched on line to find the source of these profound words, I was surprised by who was given credit. It wasn't a world leader and it wasn't a religious leader. The quote was said to have come from Jimi Hendrix. Jimi worked magic with the guitar giving us classics like "Purple Haze" and "All Along the Watchtower." His music was powerful but nothing can compare to the wisdom and the power of this quote.
The anger with which the game of politics is currently being played is like a bloodless gang war. Even though the attacks are on character and don't involve blood, they are just as violent. The deals that are cut for power are no less damaging and destructive than the knives that cut on the street. What is the price for power? Like legendary bluesman Robert Johnson, are politicians selling their souls to the devil for power? What does it cost our country? What does it cost families?
I am not a big believer in religion but I am a man of faith. I don't care what your vision of the supreme being is because that's your business. However, in the midst of this debacle we are calling a campaign, I ask you to take a moment and say a prayer. Pray that our leaders are not overcome by the love of power and pray that our entire country and the world are overcome with the power of love.