Check back for updates
UPDATE 1/15/09, 1 PM
Vanity Fair has published a list and photo graphic of celebrity inauguration attendees that helps round out anyone missing from ours
The AP put out a story yesterday that gets into more detail about the when and where of celebrity inaugural events.
From videos by will.i.am to emails from Scarlett Johansson, Obama has never been hard up for celebrity support. Obama is something of a celebrity in his own right, with enough star power to essentially shut down Washington D.C. because of the huge crowds expected at his inauguration. It's no surprise, then, that a large number of celebrities will there as well.
So which celebs will be there? It would almost be easier to say which ones won't be there. Details of who will be in town --along with sources-- can be found below, and the list will be updated as necessary.
- The Creative Coalition's inaugural ball will bring plenty of big names to town, with a list of confirmed attendees below.
Tim Daly, Tony Goldwyn, Anne Hathaway, Ron Howard, Spike Lee, Susan Sarandon,
Kerry Washington, Dana Delany, Ellen Burstyn, Alan Cumming, Barry Levinson,
Alfre Woodard, Josh Lucas, Matthew Modine, Richard Schiff, Connie Britton, Marcia Cross,
Maura Tierney, Sue Kramer, Rachael Leigh Cook, Gloria Reuben, Wendie Malick,
Adrian Grenier, Keshia Knight Pulliam, Phillip Bloch, Tom Cavanagh, Bradley Cooper,
Hill Harper, Ashley Judd, Blair Underwood, Lynn Whitfield, Maggie Gyllenhaal,
Peter Sarsgaard, Giancarlo Esposito, Kim Raver, Lawrence O'Donnell, Jane Krakowski,
Tamara Tunie and Tom Fontana
Elvis Costello, Sting and R&B legend Sam Moore will also play at the event
- Rihanna will be headlining the RIAA and Feeding America charity ball, Access Hollywood reports.
- Longtime Obama supporter Oprah Winfrey will host an event at the Kennedy Center on election eve, NBC reports.
- Will Smith and his wife Jada will attend the inauguration, UPI reports
- Hip-hop will be well represented in DC that night, thanks to the Hip-Hop Summit Action Network's ball, which will feature guests and performers like Russell Simmons, T.I., Young Jeezy and LL Cool J on the eve of the inauguration. Jay-Z recently announced that he would also perform at a party that night.
- George Lucas will be awarded at the Bits And Bytes Inaugural Ball.
- The Washington Post reports that Bruce Springsteen will perform on the steps of the Lincoln memorial on a January 18th free welcome event.
- The American Music Inaugural Balls will bring more big hip-hop names to the city, as the program details:
The event is composed of two parts: the Legends Ball, which Warwick will host, and the Urban Ball, which will see rapper Ludacris at the helm. It will be the first ever two-ball event in inaugural history. Performers include Rodney Atkins, George Clinton, Chaka Khan, Marvin Sapp, the Temptations (with Dennis Edwards), Harold Melvin's Blue Notes, Kirk Franklin, the H.B. Barnum Orchestra, The Caravans, Smokie Norful, T-Pain, David Banner, Athena Cage, Cedric the Entertainer, the Cheetah Girls, Fantasia, Lil Jon, Monica, Bella Steez, and Bobby Valentino.