THE WORLDPOST
07/22/2011 04:52 pm ET Updated Sep 21, 2011

Youth Camp Shooting: Witness Says He Saw 20 To 25 Bodies

The AP reports that an eyewitness told Norwegian station NRK that he saw 20 to 25 bodies at the Utoya, Norway youth camp where a gunman dressed as a police officer opened fire.

"There are very many dead by the shore ... there are about 20-25 dead," Andre Scheie said.

Police say the shooting is connected to a bombing near government headquarters in Oslo, Norway.

See below for updates in our live blog and check out The Huffington Post's Big News Page on the bombing.

25/07/2011 05:08 BST

Suspect Wants To Explain Why He Killed 93 In Court Hearing Monday

From Reuters:

Calling himself a crusader against a tide of Islam in a rambling 1,500-page online manifesto, the 32-year-old mass murderer wants the opportunity to explain actions he deemed 'atrocious, but necessary'.

Lawyer Geir Lippestad said his client had admitted to Friday's shootings at a Labour youth camp and a bomb that killed seven people in Oslo's government district, but that he denies any criminal guilt.

24/07/2011 17:16 BST

Suspect Tells Authorities He Acted Alone

CNN says authorities report that the suspect said he acted alone. Norway's king held memorial services for those grieving victims of the attacks.

The man accused of killing at least 93 people in Norway has said he carried out the bombing and mass shooting, authorities said Sunday, as an ashen-faced and openly weeping King Harald V led the nation in mourning.

The suspect has not pleaded guilty, and said he acted alone with no accomplice, acting National Police Chief Sveinung Sponheim told reporters Sunday.

24/07/2011 17:13 BST

Suspect Reportedly Had More Ammunition

BreakingNews reports that the suspect was not out of ammo when he surrendered.

@ BreakingNews : Police: Suspect in Norway attacks still hada lot of ammunition when he surrendered - AP

24/07/2011 17:08 BST

Police: Someone Should Have Been There To Stop Gunman

Reuters reports that a police guard was supposed to be on the island when attacks occured:

@ REUTERSFLASH : Norwegian police say a police guard had been due to be on island hit by attacks, but unsure where he was

24/07/2011 04:32 BST

Why Was The Response Time So Slow?

It took the police 90 minutes to respond to the massacre on Utoya island.

Police arrived at an island massacre about an hour and a half after a gunman first opened fire, slowed because they didn't have quick access to a helicopter and then couldn't find a boat to make their way to the scene just several hundred yards (meters) offshore. The assailant surrendered when police finally reached him, but 82 people died before that.

24/07/2011 02:44 BST

Chilling Accounts From Island Shooting Survivors

A few horrific first-person reports of the shooting on Utoya Island are emerging this evening.

Here, survivors describe the two hours of terror they endured.

They are running from the approaching gunman, his "POLICE" moniker crystal-clear to see from even middle distance.

"My first thought was: Why are the police shooting at us? What the hell?" she writes.

More than a dozen crowd into a dark corner of a camp building, and all lie down on the floor. She cries quietly – then sees her best friend from camp, a boy, through a window.

"I wondered if I should go out and bring him to me. I did not. I saw fear in his eyes," she writes.

And from the New York Times:

There was little shelter or chance for those caught back on the island. Witnesses told Norwegian news agencies that the shooter sprayed bullets into piles of dead bodies, apparently seeking those that were hiding among them. On Saturday night, the authorities knew that 85 had been killed, and still sought bodies in the water, or in an unchecked corner of Utoya.

“He seemed he was enjoying it” Magnus Stenseth, a youth leader, told the Norwegian newspaper VG. “He walked around the island as if he had absolute power.”

24/07/2011 01:10 BST

Anders Behring Breivik Says His Attacks Were 'Necessary,' According To His Lawyer

Reuters reports:

The man suspected of a gun and bomb attack in Norway has called his deeds atrocious yet necessary, his defense lawyer said on Saturday.

"He has said that he believed the actions were atrocious, but that in his head they were necessary," defense lawyer Geir Lippestad told TV2 news.

Lippestad said his client had said he was willing to explain himself in a court hearing on Monday.

24/07/2011 00:51 BST

Report: Anders Behring Breivik Admits To Attacks

From the Wall Street Journal:

Anders Behring Breivik, the Norwegian man charged in the bombing and shootings in Norway's capital and a nearby island Friday that left at least 92 people dead, has admitted to the crimes, his lawyer told Norwegian radio late Saturday.

Gier Lippestad, Mr. Breivik's lawyer, told Norwegian public radio NRK that Mr. Breivik admits to having killed 92 people on Friday and has told police of the circumstances.

23/07/2011 22:36 BST

Photo Of Alleged Shooter Holding Gun

Here is a photo from a now deleted YouTube video possibly uploaded by alleged shooter Anders Breivik in which he's pictured with an automatic weapon.

23/07/2011 21:49 BST

The Gunman's Manifesto

Norwegian journalist Ketil Stensrud has posted a link on his Twitter account where people can download the gunman's manifesto, in which, Stensrub tweets "he gives detailed account of planned attack."