A cleaning tip a day by Stylelist Home's cleaning and organizing experts Stacey Platt and Sarah Hayon of DwellWell.
Twelve ways to create more space in the kitchen.
Look for unused space and find creative ways to use it. Here are some ideas:
1. Look for unused wall space to hang shelves for additional storage.
2. Mount a stainless-steel bar with S hooks to hang a spice rack and/or utensils.
3. Mount a knife strip on the wall.
4. Even empty corners can be put to use; equip them with slim cabinetry that takes advantage of vertical space.
5. Use wood boxes to store things you don't use regularly that might otherwise gather dust or be in the way.
6. Adjustable shelving can be customized to store taller items such as vases and jugs.
7. A butcher-block surface does double-duty as a top for an island and a cutting board. Add shelving underneath.
8. Use matching baskets to hold nonrefrigerated produce such as garlic, onions, and ginger.
9. Put the kitchen table to use. Free up drawer space by keeping flatware in a caddy in the center of the table.
10. Save counter space by mounting small appliances, like a microwave, coffeemaker, or toaster, under upper cabinets.
11. Buy two-in-one space-saving appliances such as microwave-toaster combinations.
12. Paint the walls. Lighter colors help make the space seem bigger.
Find more cleaning and organizing tips in What's A Disorganized Person To Do?