It's hard to believe that 2012 is only a few days away, but it is. So why not start planning how you can make your career better next year now? We talked with Shelly Gorman, Director of Career Management at UNC Kenan-Flagler Business school, about some proactive resolutions whether you are trying to move up higher in your current field or land a new job. She has spent the last ten years leading a global career management consulting firm, and also assisting over 10,000 individuals in their career management. Here are her great suggestions for resolutions:
1) Conduct your annual career management check-up:
To make sure you are on the right career path for you, it's important to frequently check-in and ask yourself:
- Does my current role meet my lifestyle needs?
- Am I fully utilizing my expertise?
- What is my 5-year vision and am I on track to realize this goal?
- Do I enjoy what I do day to day?
2) Have a proactive mindset --- vow to ask for what you want: