The bottom line is, letting go of someone you love sucks. It's devastating to think about all those years you've invested in a relationship with someone who ultimately was not worthy of your love. Sadly, the pain doesn't exactly end on the day you officially call it quits. For a lot of us, post-divorce behavior can extend that suffering. Take a look at the eight biggest mistakes we make when trying to move on.
- Jumping into bed with the first new guy that comes around. It may feel good in the moment, but a one-night stand is never a fix for a broken heart.
- Pretending you're fine with the split even though you are dying inside. Hiding how you feel will only make you feel worse and prolong the pain.
- Listening to too many sad breakup songs.
- Getting into a new relationship right away. You need a chance to figure out how to live your life without your ex and get to know yourself again. You can’t do that if you are already preoccupied with someone new.
- Facebook stalking him. Seeing pics of him with some other girl will crush you.
- Talking to or hanging out with him. A clean break is best if you really want to move on.
- Throwing away EVERYTHING he ever bought you. Why take your anger out on that awesome bracelet or fab Louis Vuitton bag he bought you. Consider it your payment for the crappy job of once being his partner.
- Destroying the stuff he left behind at your place. It's silly, petty, and possibly criminal. Just box it and leave it outside the front door. Tell him if he wants it, he better come and get it before someone swipes it.
What other mistakes do people make when trying to get over an ex?
More from The Stir:
10 Things Every Woman Going Through a Divorce Wants to Hear
Cheating Husband Tries to Sell His Motorcycle for Divorce Money in Hilarious Ad
This Is Officially the Worst Email You Could Ever Receive After a Date
17 Surprising Things You Learn After a Divorce
10 Things You Should Never Ever Say to a Divorcee