On first (second, third and umpteen) listen of Katy Perry's "Prism," three themes begin to emerge: (1) Katy Perry has some lingering feelings about Russell Brand, (2) Katy Perry likes singing songs that would bring the house down at bar mitzvah receptions circa 1992, and (3) Katy Perry really loves being in love with John Mayer. Perry wants to sing about their relationship from the mountaintop, guys, an enthusiasm that comes through on songs like "Legendary Lovers," "This Moment," "Walking On Air," "Unconditionally," "Double Rainbow" (there's a song called "Double Rainbow" on this album, btw) and, well, plenty more. Here are the six lyrics that Perry and her stable of songwriters, including Mayer himself (on "Spiritual"), thought might sound like they could be about John Mayer.
1. From "Legendary Lovers": "I feel my lotus bloom, come closer / I want your energy, I want your aura / You are my destiny, my mantra"
2. From "Birthday": "So let me get you in your birthday suit / It's time to bring out the big balloons"
3. From "Walking On Air": "You're giving me sweet, sweet ecstasy / Yeah you take me to utopia / You reading me like erotica / Boy you make me feel exotic yeah / Just when I think I can't take anymore / We go deeper and harder / Than ever before / We go higher and higher / I feel like I'm already there"
4. From "Unconditionally": "Come just as you are to me / Don't need apologies / Know that you are unworthy / I'll take your bad days with your good / Walk through this storm I would / I'd do it all because I love you, I love you"
5. From "Double Rainbow": "Was a phenomenon when you came along / Yeah, our chemistry was more than science / It was deafening, loud like lightning, it was striking / You couldn't deny it"
6. From "Spiritual": "Lay me down at your altar, baby / I'm a slave to this love / Your electric lips have got me speaking in tongues / I have prayed for a power like you / To see deep down in my soul / Oh, you make me bloom like a flower, a desert rose"