You may not have thought of your DNA as a hot commodity, but as the future continues to look more and more like a dystopian science fiction film, we recommend you wise up. Artist Heather Dewey-Hagborg, director of BioGenFutures, is here to help. The art-meets-science provocateur has crafted a product designed to eliminate those pesky traces of your DNA you left behind, assuring you of your genetic privacy.
Whether you're shedding hairs, spitting out little bits of fingernail or wiping off a hint of saliva, you could be leaving behind valuable information about your identity that shouldn't be shared with the untrustworthy masses. With a little spray of "Invisible," you can eliminate 99.5% of your genetic info and obfuscate the remaining 0.5%, leaving you virtually anonymous. Thus you'll eliminate your odds of being tracked, analyzed or cloned -- all possibilities that seem more likely every day.
"You wouldn’t leave your medical records on the subway for just anyone to read," the artist writes on her website. "It should be a choice. You should be in control of how you share your information and with whom: be it your email, your phone calls, your SMS messages, and certainly your genes. 'Invisible' is protection against new forms of biological surveillance."
Dewey-Haborg provides a handy list of uses for her tech-savvy product, straddling the line between humor and seriousness so dexterously we don't know what to think. Potential uses for "Invisible" include: "Spend the night somewhere you shouldn't have? Erase your mistake and be invisible" or "Dinner with the prospective in-laws going smoothly? Don't let them judge you based on your DNA, be invisible."
This isn't the artist's first time fusing science and art in ways that make us unable to sleep at night. A previous endeavor involved using found DNA to create lifelike portraits of the strangers they belonged to. If nothing else, we'd like to buy "Invisible" to protect ourselves from Dewey-Haborg.