05/20/2014 10:14 am ET Updated May 20, 2014

A 600-Pound Woman Goes Outside For The First Time In 7 Years (VIDEO)

For the past seven years, a California woman named Bonnie had not set foot outside her Los Angeles home. At 600 pounds, she hadn't even left her bed since 2009. As the world went on around her, Bonnie remained bed-ridden and completely reliant on her 24-year-old daughter Jamesha for survival -- until now.

At the request of Bonnie's friends, Iyanla Vanzant traveled to Los Angeles to help Bonnie confront the pain, grief and depression that kept her in her bed for half a decade. On her first day there, Iyanla saw how dire Bonnie's situation was and began coordinating with the local hospital to address both her immediately medical needs and the rehab care she'll need to start walking once again.

On Day Two of Iyanla's visit, a construction crew cut a hole through Bonnie's bedroom wall and paramedics arrived to transport her to the hospital. Wearing a new dress for her big moment, Bonnie was helped onto a gurney and wheeled out of the bedroom where she had felt captive for so long. The above video shows how Bonnie was overcome with emotion when she exited her home and got her first taste of fresh air.

"Fresh air!" she exclaimed, tears streaming.

"Feel the sun, Miss Bonnie," Iyanla said. "Miss Bonnie, open your eyes!"

At the end of Bonnie's driveway, a crowd had gathered. Friends, family and neighbors chanted her name, waving balloons and showing their support.

"Look at your audience, Miss Bonnie," Iyanla said, gesturing toward the crowd.

"I'm sorry," Bonnie said, crying. "Everybody, I'm sorry."

"No 'sorry!'" Iyanla told her. "'Thank you.' She says, 'Thank you,' everybody."

With her daughter by her side, Bonnie looked down and saw her young grandson. Jamesha picked him up and handed him to her. "I told you I was going to take you outside," Bonnie said to him, hugging him tightly.

Then it was time to head to the hospital. "Are you ready, Miss Bonnie?" Iyanla asked. "Step one: done!"

Friends and family cheered as Bonnie was taken to an ambulance. On March 28, Bonnie was admitted to USC Hospital for medical evaluation. She was too heavy for the hospital scale, so they estimated her weight at more than 650 pounds. Last month, Bonnie was transferred to Pasadena Meadows Nursing Center, where she began a regimen of physical therapy and a restricted diet.

How's Bonnie doing now? Watch the update below.

"Iyanla: Fix My Life" airs Saturday at 9 p.m. ET on OWN.



Iyanla Vanzant Quotes