Brad Pitt has released a statement concerning the red carpet attack that left Hollywood prankster Vitalii Sediuk behind bars.
The 50-year-old actor spoke out about the incident to People, giving his take on what really went down at the "Maleficent" premiere in Hollywood on Wednesday, May 28.
"I was at the end of the line signing autographs, when out the corner of my eye I saw someone stage-diving over the barrier at me," Pitt explains, continuing, "I took a step back; this guy had latched onto my lapels. I looked down and the nutter was trying to bury his face in my crotch, so I cracked him twice in the back of the head –- not too hard –- but enough to get his attention, because he did let go. I think he was then just grabbing for a hand hold because the guys were on him, and he reached up and caught my glasses."
Despite Pitt's statement, Sediuk, a former Ukrainian television reporter, told The Associated Press that he was in a fan area of the event and just wanted to give the actor a hug. The 25-year-old spent two days in jail before pleading no contest to battery and unlawful activity at a sporting or entertainment event following the attack on May 30. He was sentenced to three years of probation, a year's worth of psychiatric counseling and ordered to stay away from Pitt.
Sediuk, 25, has already gained a reputation for inappropriate pranks on red carpets. Just last month, he crawled underneath America Ferrera's dress at the Cannes Film Festival.
"I'm a normal guy. I'm not crazy," he insists. But Pitt feels otherwise.
"I don't mind an exhibitionist," Pitt told People, "but if this guy keeps it up he's going to spoil it for the fans who have waited up all night for an autograph or a selfie, because it will make people more wary to approach a crowd. And he should know, if he tries to look up a woman's dress again, he's going to get stomped."