WEIRD NEWS
12/10/2014 11:25 am ET Updated Dec 06, 2017

Dog Playing With Matches Starts House Fire: Officials

Officials in Canada's Yukon said that a dog playing with matches started a house fire.

The Yukon Fire Marshall's Office said no people or animals were harmed in the fire, which went out by the time fire fighters arrived at the scene. It caused extensive smoke damage to the house.

The dog appears to have set his bed on fire while chewing on a box of "strike anywhere" matches, Fire Marshall Dennis Berry told the CBC.

"The warning from this is that, certainly as we enter the holiday season, but any time of the year, that it's very easy start a fire and something as easy as a dog chewing on a pack of matches could easily start a fire," Berry said.

In August, a dog started a fire in a New Jersey home when it accidentally turned on a burner, igniting a laptop that had been left on top of a stove.

Be careful this holiday season!

Like Us On Facebook |
Follow Us On Twitter |
Contact The Author

HuffPost

BEFORE YOU GO

PHOTO GALLERY
Animals In The News
CONVERSATIONS