Think your current (or ex) in-laws are terrible people? It could be much, much worse.
On Wednesday, Redditors on the Ask Women board commiserated over their mothers-in-law and all the obnoxious things their MILs have said and done to them. Read 13 of the most horrifying anecdotes below.
1. "She posted a work out video on Facebook, tagged me and her daughter in it, and wrote 'now you have no excuse' under it."
2. "My MIL told me, 'I know you are waiting for children, but you're getting so old.' I'm not even 35."
3. "My ex mother-in-law called me by her other sons' ex-wife's name for the first three years I was married to her younger son."
4. "My MIL stole a stack of our wedding invitations to send to her friends that we weren't inviting. We wanted a small, intimate wedding with only people we knew and loved. I hardly knew a soul there."
5. "MIL: Aren't the ballerinas in this 'The Nutcracker' production lovely?
Me: Yes, they are.
MIL: Were you in ballet?
Me: No, unfortunately I was not.
MIL: Yes, that sounds right.
I pause. Say nothing. 'What does that mean?' I'm thinking.
MIL: They take really good care of their bodies."
6. "When my fiancé let his parents know that he was planning on marrying me, the conversation went like this:
SO: Mom. Dad. I want to let you know that I really love her. More than anyone I've been with in my life. And that I really think I want to marry her.
SO's mom: Really? You love her more than you loved Amy?
SO: Wait... what? Seriously? Did you seriously just say that?
SO's mom (getting weepy): I really loved Amy. I miss Amy...
Amy is the girlfriend my SO dumped six years ago. SIX YEARS AGO."
7. "My MIL is extremely negative and can find fault with anything. When she stays with us it's a nonstop litany of complaints. For example, we went to the Holocaust Museum for an exhibit on Nazi propaganda art and an employee there asked us what we thought of the exhibit. My MIL told him, 'It wasn't my cup of tea. Too depressing, and I think there was too much about Hitler.'"
8. Me: "I'm not a fan of football."
MIL: "Well, only intelligent people like football."
9. "My MIL hates me so much she doesn't even acknowledge my existence. The plus side is that I don't have to deal with her talking crap to me!"
10. "When I first met my MIL, the first thing she said to me when we were alone together was, 'It's weird that you're not a redhead. He usually goes for redheads.' I told her 'That IS weird. I usually go for redheads, too.'"
11. "My MIL referred to me as 'the whore of Babylon' after she figured out I was living with her son (we had moved in together two years earlier. We had been dating six years, having been high school sweethearts). I was 'inviting the devil into [our] den of iniquity.' She's nice to my face now that I have a grandchild as leverage."
12. "My MIL suggested my (now ex-husband) go on 'The Bachelor.' I was sitting right there and said 'But he's already married" She replied, 'Well, maybe he could meet someone new.' I hate that woman."