SPECIAL FROM Grandparents.com
Claim: Newspapers are an effective way to wipe glass windows clean, sans streaks.
It’s True! Our grandparents were right – the 50-cent daily can double as a glass cleaner. Newspapers are made of dense fibers that contain no solid, scratching materials like silica or calcium carbonate. Compared to paper towels, newspaper fibers are more rigid and will not separate and cause lint. According to The Daily Reporter, more than 90 percent of U.S. papers switched from petroleum-based ink, which caused stains and smears, to the cheaper, smear-free alternative of soy-based ink by 2000. The switch rendered the newspaper perfect for multi-purpose use!
Want to try this cleaning method out yourself? Grab your local paper and look for the official Soy Ink Seal to see whether the ink is petroleum-based or soy-based. You can also test by holding the paper between your thumb and index finger for a minute or more. If your fingers are stained, the paper uses petroleum-based ink and is no good for glass cleaning. If your fingers are stain-free, mix equal parts vinegar and water for your cleaning solution then use the newspaper to clean the glass as you would with a paper towel. You can also use old newspapers to ripen tomatoes, deodorize food containers, kill weeds and more, according to Friends of the Earth!Other cleaning myths that ring true, too:
- Club soda is A-OK for removing stains from carpet and some clothing items.
- According to The Vinegar Institute, there are over 50 cleaning uses for white vinegar. However, keep vinegar far away from your hardwood floors and other waxed furniture.
- Follow this video to turn your tarnished silver bright with items straight from your pantry: aluminum foil, water, baking soda, and salt.
- Remove rust from metals by scrubbing with Coca-Cola and aluminum foil.
- And yes - you can wash all your clothes clean with cold water and save on your utility bills, says Real Simple.
Happy cleaning and happy myth busting!
Read more from Grandparents.com:
10 interesting facts about the human body
10 things that will restore your faith in humanity
Guinness World Records' 10 amazing feats for 2015