Before we start, let's talk about Millennials and why there's a need to dedicate an entire article to them. Millennials, also known as Generation Y, are the people of today. Typically born between 1980-2000s, they are everywhere and make up the largest portion of today's workforce. However, these are also the people with a huge number of problems, as they have to deal with relationship issues, financial issues and other such matters.
So how can Millennials turn their lives around? Here are some tips:
1. Know that You Need to Change With Time
Millennials are busy people, they have families to tend to, and jobs to save. And between all this, they often tend to neglect the fact that time is changing. If you look at Baby Boomers, they complain about a lack of jobs and opportunities. One of the main reasons for such a scenario is the fact that most of them failed to change with time and did not welcome technology as it changed. As a result they are out of work.
And if you do not wish to have the same fate, you need to understand the importance of change. We live in a dynamic world, and technology is continuously changing. Also, we're facing tough competition from the next generation (Generation Z) which is said to be more tech-savvy and passionate than Generation Y. If you wish to have a successful career and not lose your job to this new talent, you need to adapt.
A few things you can do include:
● Attend seminars and get involved in other such activities.
● Enroll yourself in a new course (online or college).
● Keep an eye on the latest happenings and learn from them.
2. Know When to Compromise
Many experts believe that it is important to compromise at times. Compromising teaches you to be patient when life gets tough. And when we talk about compromise, we mean it on a large scale.
Remember the concept of opportunity cost in mind. For example, compromise on your wishes today to build your kid's future tomorrow. You need to let go of that massive television set and save for your kid's college fund. This may look like a difficult thing to do, since we hate to compromise, eventually it is all about priorities. Reports also indicate that Millennials tend to spend heavily on things that they do not really need. Making sure you only buy what you need will allow you to save money that you can use during tough financial conditions.
A few takeaway points are:
- Keep the big picture in mind and look at the end goal. Make sure to set your priorities straight.
- Stop feeling sorry for yourself, if you have to give up one thing for another.
- Only compromise when there's a need to, and do not let your decision affect you negatively.
3. Take Out Some Time for Yourself
Take out some Me-Time and do what you love to do. It can be anything, from trying to get to the next level on a difficult video game to growing vegetables in your backyard. According to reports, depression is very common among Millennials. There are a number of reasons for this, including difficult lives and a lack of support that we get from our surroundings. However, the presence of depression is not a good thing. It can lead to dire consequences, including suicides.
In addition to this, depressed Millennials tend to earn 20% less than previous generations. And this all can be fought by taking care of yourself.
Some key pointers include:
- Eat healthy and stay away from bad habits.
- Join a gym and take care of your health.
- Start a healthy activity that takes you away from the hustle and bustle of life.
4. Do Not Depend too Much on Technology
While it is important to be aware of technology, depending too much on it can backfire. According to reports, Millennials are tech-dependant, but not tech-savvy. This is because they are spending too much time using their mobile devices, such as laptops and mobile phones, but they are not using these in a way that actually benefits them.
Even though the opinion on the impact of technology on our lives seems to be divided, experts unanimously agree that using too much of it can make us lethargic and uncreative.
The best way to use technology is to:
- Use it only when it helps you save scarce resources (time and money).
- Not to count on technology to help you always. It can also go wrong!
- Know when to say no, for example: do not use mobile phones or laptops before bed.
These simple yet effective tips will help you live a more successful and happier life. Remember, the key to happiness lies in not trying to find it.