In our experience, getting engaged creates the kitchen sink of emotions, including -- but not limited to -- shock, breathlessness, elation, excitement, nerves, visual impairment (that ring is BLINDING, though!) etc.
At Wedding Paper Divas, our goal is to help brides to be feel prepared and collected all along the (sometimes long and winding) road to matrimony, so we've taken the liberty of compiling an "engagement checklist" to review AHEAD of time. Things to do immediately after your partner gets down on bended knee that might seem a bit obvious but you might not otherwise remember to do because, well, the excitement can be a bit much! (Ever heard of Proposal Blackout Syndrome? It's a thing.)
Here are ten things to do in the moments after the precious question is popped so the aftermath is as dreamy as the proposal itself:
- Don't forget to say YES!
- Savor the moment -- do what you gotta do, whether it's a happy dance, a tween-girl scream, tears or whatever you feel like doing. You're engaged!!!!
- Call your parents (or closest family members) IMMEDIATELY to share the amazing news if they're not already in the know.
- Take a breath and pull together a quick plan with your new fiancé about how you lovebirds want to share the news. You might want to shout it from the rooftop, but chances are you have some friends, an aunt or colleague, etc., who is going to have an absolutely PRICELESS reaction that you don't want to miss. So give yourself a minute to pull it together and share the news at your own pace -- especially if you'd like to call, text or visit personally with certain people.
PRO TIP: Look through your phone at your recent texts to put together a quick list of the people you need to personally deliver the news to.
- If you have a surprise party waiting for you as a part of the engagement scheme, put a social media BAN into effect immediately and don't let them bully you. Trust us on this and stand your ground! (Give us a call if you need to hear real stories about how this can go awry.)
- Get a manicure and gaze lovingly at your new stunner the. whole. time. Engagement/bridal nail art is huge and incredibly on-trend, so you go ahead and dress up your nail with a cute design.
- Stock up on throat lozenges in case your voice gets hoarse from enthusiastically telling the fabulous story so many times in a short period of time. This is a common yet little known engagement side effect -- be prepared.
- Order thank you notes! Chances are you already have a long list of people you want to thank, especially if your fiancé tapped your family and friends to help with an elaborate proposal. And there's no better way to express your gratitude than a lovely, thoughtful handwritten note. (Bonus: You can also watch your ring sparkle while you're writing! On second thought, better order a few extra cards in case you get too distracted...)
- Do something special for your fiancé. Proposing is a huge, scary thing and your fiancé has likely been sitting with the secret (and blocking it from you) for a while! In the rush of your engagement, make sure to acknowledge your partner's efforts -- think a relaxing massage, cooking a favorite meal or even a surprise weekend getaway where the two of you can decompress and bask in post-engagement bliss.
- Insure your ring. Pronto.
Images via Monica Hues via Instagram
Image via Wedding Paper Divas