From the office of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV), here are the first ten bills proposed by the new Democratic Senate and that are being introduced immediately, on the first day of the 110th Congress:
Add this to the fact that Russ Feingold (D-WI) will propose a timetable for withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq, Jim Webb's (D-VA) plan to introduce legislation bringing back the old, all-encompassing G.I. Bill of Rights for Veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan and Joe Biden's (D-DE) planned six weeks of hearings in the Foreign Relations Committee on the conduct of the Iraq war and you'll see we're off to one hell of a start.
1. Ethics reform, to clean up Congress so the government can get back to serving the American people.
2. Raising the minimum wage, to give millions of American families an opportunity to achieve the American Dream.
3. Medicare Prescription Drug program reform, to save seniors, the disabled, and American taxpayers money.
4. Acting on the 9/11 Commission Recommendations, to fully secure our ports and borders and ensure that our first responders have the resources they need to keep America safe.
5. Funding stem cell research, to open the promise of life-saving cures and treatments.
6. Energy reform, to address global warming and put America on a path to energy independence.
7. Easing the financial burden of college tuition, to increase accessibility for hardworking students and their families.
8. Strengthening and rebuilding America's military, to ensure the American people get the real security they deserve.
9. Comprehensive immigration reform, to fix America's broken immigration system.
10. Pay-as-you-go legislation, so that Congress has to cover its costs just like American families do.
You can read more from Bob at BobGeiger.com.