Keeping with our goal of catering to frugal travelers, Cheapflights.com brings you our Fourth Annual Airport Affordability Index.
The index, which uses plane ticket prices to determine the affordability of the most popular airports in the United States, helps guide travelers toward the cheapest departure and arrival points. This year's most affordable airports serve both large and small markets, and the index provides passengers with some extra knowledge -- and options -- when it comes to picking an airport.
Here are this year's top 10 and their average airfares:
- Long Beach (Daugherty Field), CA (LGB) -- $216
- Myrtle Beach Jetport, SC (MYR) -- $249
- Fresno Air Terminal, CA (FAT) -- $270
- Burlington International, VT (BTV) -- $284
- Metropolitan Oakland International, CA (OAK) -- $287
- La Guardia, NY (LGA) -- $290
- Harrisburg International, PA (MDT) -- $291
- White Plains, NY (HPN) -- $295
- Bob Hope Airport, CA (BUR) -- $297
- Akron-Canton Regional, OH (CAK) -- $303
Many of 2013's most affordable airports measured up to their performance last year with repeat appearances in the top 10. But jet setters looking for flights to or from Myrtle Beach in South Carolina will be happy to hear Myrtle Beach Jetport is now the second most affordable airport in the U.S. after coming in at number 42 last year. Burlington International and La Guardia also improved significantly, claiming top spots after coming in at 28 and 23, respectively, in last year's index.
Take a look at the full 2013 Airport Affordability Report to see how the airports closest to you fared.