Death is always difficult, even when we expect it. I never met Joan Rivers, but followed her career, and based on her age and the fact that she was in a coma, I anticipated her death. Doesn't make it any easier. So with the utmost respect, may she rest in peace. Prayers to her immediate family.
Here are 10 things I know about the late Joan Rivers:
1. She was the first person I heard talk about suicide. When her husband Edgar committed suicide she discussed it openly with respect and humor.
2. She could make fun of herself. I loved the recent commercials she made making fun of herself and her numerous cosmetic surgeries.
3. In "Hollywood," where oft times successful working women do not have families, she managed to have a family and a career simultaneously.
4. She was very open about her life, not only her husband's suicide and her cosmetic surgeries, but her contemplation of suicide as well and her numerous "failures."
5. People generally knew about her break on Carson and guest hosting, but it was actually Bill Cosby who suggested that she first come on The Tonight Show.
6. When she appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show seven months pregnant at that time she could not acknowledge it or comment on the pregnancy.
7. Her ban from The Tonight Show after announcing her own talk show continued through Leno and O'Brien.
8. When I was 16 I submitted one liner jokes for her. They were not accepted. It was my dream to be a comedy writer for her.
9. She vowed to never retire, to work until she died and she did.
10. "Can We Talk"?
Thank you Joan Rivers for all the laughter.
Peace and blessings.