Kathleen Turner is one of my favorite actresses and Molly Ivins was a hero. I had the pleasure of seeing Kathleen Turner in Red Hot Patriot The Kick-ass Wit Of Molly Ivins at the Berkeley Rep. Here are 10 things I learned:
1. Molly Ivins was six feet tall.
2. Red Hot Patriot: The Kick-Ass Wit of Molly Ivins is an original play written by twin sisters. Half of the words are by the playwrights the other half from Ivins herself.
3. Kathleen Turner debuted in the role of in 2010 and reprised it in 2012 and 2014.
4. Both Ivins and Turner had books on the best seller list.
5. Ivins wrote the obituaries for Elvis Presley and Texas Governor Ann Richards.
6. Ivins went to high school with President George W. Bush and dubbed him "shrub".
7. Ivins was the first woman police reporter at the Minneapolis Tribune.
8. Ivins was the political polar opposite of her father who committed suicide.
9. "The first rule of holes: when you are in one, stop digging" said Ivins.
10. "The thing about democracy beloveds, is that it is not neat, orderly, or quiet. It requires a certain relish for confusion" said Ivins.
Peace, love, compassion and blessings.