This curry sauce is delicious and easy. With a few substitutions this sauce is suitable for vegan family and friends.
Makes a family size portion
For this recipe you will need:
1 medium size onion - chopped
2 carrots - peeled and chopped
2 Tablespoons oil (I prefer coconut or olive oil)
4 Tablespoons curry powder (or 2 Tablespoons curry paste)
2 cups broth (veggie or chicken)
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
1 Tablespoon cilantro
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
dash of hot sauce
salt and pepper to taste
(optional) 2 teaspoons corn starch mixed with 1 Tablespoon COLD water)
Add In's: (try adding in any combination of the following)
Chopped, cooked chicken
Frozen mixed vegetables
Fresh or frozen spinach
Fresh fish (chopped)
Leftover meat or vegetables (without sauce)
A word about add in's:
For the best flavor season your add in's as though you were eating them without a sauce. This adds depth and richness to your curry.
1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil until it melts.
2. Brown the chopped carrots and chopped carrots and onions in the oil.
3. Once the veggies are lightly browned and fork tender, add in the curry powder.
4. Mix and saute the curry powder with the veggies and oil for about 3 minutes. Heating the curry powder in oil brings out its flavor.
5. Stir in the broth and coconut milk, cilantro and lemon juice.
6. Allow the sauce to simmer uncovered over med heat for about 10 minutes. Add salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste. Stir occasionally.
The sauce is now done. There are MANY ways to customize the sauce for your needs and tastes.
For a thicker sauce:
If you prefer a thicker sauce, combine 2 teaspoons of corn starch and 1 Tablespoon of COLD water or left over coconut milk in a bowl. Stir the mixture into the sauce and simmer uncovered for about 7 minutes.
This curry sauce is a great end of the week meal. I add in my leftovers from the week. This week I added the remains of a rotisserie chicken.
I didn't have enough chicken to make an entire meal, but I had just enough to make a great curry!
I like this curry over a medium grain white rice. It's also delicious with naan bread or served over roasted potatoes.