Allred is a celebrated women’s rights lawyer who represents dozens of Cosby’s accusers, many of whom were at the courthouse to stand in support as they waited for a verdict. The jury came back in a deadlock for a second time, prompting the judge to declare a mistrial on the case. Cosby was facing three counts of felony aggravated indecent assault, which has a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison.
“It’s too early to celebrate, Mr. Cosby,” Allred said at a press conference Saturday morning. “Round two might be just around the corner. And this time, justice may prevail.”
Cosby has been accused of sexual assault by 60 women, which include stories alleging that the 79-year-old actor and comedian drugged the victims.
This case, which has been ongoing for six days, centers around the testimony of Andrea Constand, a former director of operations for Temple University’s women’s basketball team. The 44-year-old first made allegations in 2005 that Cosby had drugged and molested her at his home outside Philadelphia a year earlier.
Allred was hoping that the prosecution would have the opportunity to retry the case with testimonies from 13 accusers, saying the court only allowed her client Kelly Johnson to speak at trial.
“If the court allows more accusers to testify next time, it might make a difference,” Allred said.
Constand’s allegations are the only ones to be brought up against Cosby because the statute of limitations had passed on many of his accusers’ cases before his actions had been brought to light. Constand’s case was filed only 12 weeks before the statute of limitations in Pennsylvania ended.
“We can never underestimate the blinding power of celebrity, but justice will come,” Allred said in her press conference.
It is now up to the Montgomery County District Attorney as to whether to continue with a second trial.