According to Gregg Rosen of the American 99ers Union, Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA) will be reintroducing The Emergency Unemployment Compensation Act next week. Part of Mr. Rosen's statement follows:
Today as promised, I have an update to provide with respect to the reintroduction of The Emergency Unemployment Compensation Act. A press conference has been scheduled for Wednesday, February 09, 2011 in Washington, D.C. Rep. Lee and Rep. Scott will be addressing the media. I have also been asked to speak representing the American 99ers Union. They have also asked if we can find some 99ers willing to be there to stand with us, and possibly be available to speak to the press after the announcement and ensuing statements.
So, it's here and it's real. I would suggest that we all need to keep working together, now more than ever. I would ask you to please use all of your resources to get the word out.
The American 99ers Union offers the following update for February 2:
REINTRODUCTION OF THE EMERGENCY UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION ACT IS ON THE WAY....
THE AMERICAN 99ERS UNION WAS CONTACTED BY THE OFFICE OF REP. BARBARA LEE (D-CA9) ON 1/13/11 WITH RESPECT TO THE REINTRODUCTION OF THE EMERGENCY UNEMPLOYMENT COMPENSATION ACT. WE ARE NOW WORKING WITH THEM TO ADVANCE OUR SHARED INTEREST IN EXTENDING THESE CRITICAL BENEFITS TO THE 99ER COMMUNITY.
Below is the information we currently have on the Bill:
- This extension will be paid for under The Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2008.
- The 14 week extension will be attached to the first tier extension that was created under the Bush Administration. In doing so all 99ers would be included, as there are no individual State "triggers" like those found in the fourth tier extension.
- The Authors of this Bill are now gathering additional supporters in the House and they are developing a strong media plan. The goal is to have everything in order within the next two weeks.
- Per the request of Rep. Lee's office, The American 99ers Union drafted and sent an official letter of support for this Bill.
- In the interim, the best course of action is to continually take action. Contact your respective House Representatives by phone, fax, e-mail, and visits to their local offices. Identify yourself as a member of The American 99ers Union and request as a constituent, that it is in the best interest of the district they represent to support (and by support we mean vote yes on) any proposed legislation that would extend UI for the longest termed unemployed. Since the Bill has not been officially introduced, this is the best course of action.
The next update should be posted by week's end.
The American 99ers Union is honored to work with Rep. Barbara Lee and her Staff. We shall continue to provide updates as they become available.
Mike White, co-founder of the American 99ers Union sent this statement:
Gregg (Mr. G) Rosen, co-founder of the American 99ers Union, received a call from Rep. Barbara Lee's office and was told that the bill (currently known as HR 6556) WILL BE REINTRODUCED next week and there will be a Press Conference in D.C. next Wednesday in which they will announce the re-introduction of the bill, which would provide 14 more weeks of UI compensation to 99ers as an extension of Tier 1.
Gregg has been asked to appear with them as representative of the American 99ers Union and speak at the Press Conference, and they are also asking that a few 99ers be present at the Press Conference.
We need you to help us find a few suitable 99ers who would be willing to appear at the Press Conference in D.C.. The 99ers would not have to speak at the podium as Gregg will be doing, but they might be interviewed (?) by the Press after the Press Conference. So this is an opportunity for a few 99ers in the D.C/Maryland/wherever area to come forward and do their part in helping 99ers get an extension by standing with the Congresspersons at this Press Conference of Rep's Scott and Lee.
So please, UWAGers, post this around in forums and other places, that we need a few 99ers to represent us next Wednesday the 9th in D.C at this press conference.
The American 99ers Union will also be putting out a Press Release early next week re this Press Conference on Wednesday, to try to ensure the maximum media coverage and interest in this bill."
Mike White also passed along that anyone interested in appearing at the Washington D.C. Press Conference as a 99er on behalf of the A99U can leave a message at 202-579-9377 and Gregg Rosen will return your call.
It's obvious that there are still 99er support groups and a few members of Congress that are working to help the millions of 99ers who have exhausted all benefits. It's important to support these efforts in any way you can. Contact your representatives and ask them to support the legislation that will be offered by Reps. Barbara Lee and Bobby Scott. Media outlets need to be made aware that this event will be taking place so it's given the airtime it deserves.
If anyone is interested in helping a 99er with transportation funds to support the legislative introduction in D.C., you can send me a note at email@example.com and I'll give you additional information on how you can help.
The vast majority of long-term unemployed are not out of work because of a lack of effort to find work, but because of a lack of jobs. As today's employment report showed, only 39,000 jobs were added this month and it takes 125,000 new jobs just to keep up with new entrants to the workforce. The linked Ted Rall editorial cartoon tells the tale better than I can; Ted Rall at GoComics.
Day 29: Mr. Boehner, where are the jobs?