The concept of 'The One' is difficult to grasp in today's society. Social media has made it so we are connected to thousands upon thousands of people, all of whom are then connected to thousands more. Is it really possible that one person is right for us?
Maybe, maybe not. But what I know is possible is finding the person who makes you realize why it never worked out with anyone else.
Here are seven thoughts that every man has when he meets the right woman.
1. "Whatever she needs, I will do it." There is a quote I really like by Robert A. Heinlein which says, "Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own." Happiness, in the case of real-life relationships, is defined in many ways depending on the person or the couple, but what remains consistent is the willingness of a man to do whatever it takes to make the woman in his life happy.
This could mean taking care of her when she is sick, booking that surprise vacation she has always wanted to go on or even just picking up the candy she likes as he's checking out at CVS. Regardless of how big or small, he will always be wanting to make her smile.
2. "I really need to get my act together." We should all strive to become the best version of ourselves, regardless of our relationship status. But when the right woman comes into our life, oftentimes, we find a renewed motivation, a deeper meaning, a stronger reason to succeed in whatever it is we are trying to succeed in doing. Whether it's getting into better shape or accomplishing a personal or professional goal, suddenly, there is a brighter light shining along our path, because we want to make her proud as well. We want to give her the gift of the best version of us. By accomplishing what we set out to accomplish, we are now improving not just one life, but two.
3. "I have never seen someone so beautiful." While love is based on what is within, it is also true that when you love someone for who they really are, everything about them becomes beautiful. It is impossible to describe the overwhelming flood of emotions that a man feels when he sees the woman he has been waiting his whole life for...
But it's not just when he sees her for the first time; this feeling happens every time he lays eyes on her. Whether she has just come downstairs from putting her pajamas on or if she has emerged from her bedroom ready for Cinderella's Ball, he loses his breath every. Single. Time.
4. "I'm so glad that last relationship didn't work out." Not every relationship is meant to last, but the ones that don't will teach and prepare us for the one that does. Oftentimes, we may be caught up in the moment, or a routine, or just be comfortable with someone who we know in our hearts isn't right for us. Someone we cannot picture spending the rest of our lives with.
Only the right woman helps a man realize what the wrong relationships were lacking.
5. "I want so many things I had no idea I wanted." Being married to one woman forever? A house in the suburbs? A white picket fence? Hell... kids?! The vision a man has for his future completely changes when the person he wants to spend it with enters his life. It is difficult to picture having children when you don't know who their mother is going to be. It is difficult to picture being married when you don't know who is going to be walking down the aisle.
But suddenly, it all changes, because that piece of the puzzle has been added, and you can't remember why you ever wanted it any other way.
6. "Man, I hope I don't mess this up." Nobody is perfect, that's for damn sure. But men are used to being pursuers in relationships. Society and experience both teach us that we need to obtain, and then keep a woman's attention. Now, I am by no means saying that you should feel as though your relationship depends on you proving yourself to her every day -- she should love and value you as you are for who you are.
You want to capture the heart of a woman? The bottom line is you have to be a product and sell yourself daily. She wants you to keep reinventing yourself while still being the essence of the person she met. Don't fall into a routine, because a routine is indifferent. Surprise her. Show her that you love her by continuing to be better than you were yesterday and better than the rest. If you can master that, she will never stop loving you.
7. "I don't know how this happened, but I'm glad it did." Luck, fate, destiny, the universe, whatever you want to call it, you start to wonder how this particular set of circumstances could have possibly brought this woman into your life. Sometimes it's difficult to explain how you met. Maybe you're from different parts of the world, or maybe you're from the very same town, but never actually spoke until your adult life. Whatever it is, you become thankful for it.
If you catch the man in your life just laying in bed with a smile on his face, or glancing at you with a smirk, or shaking his head seemingly in disbelief and saying "nothing" when you ask him what he's thinking about... he is more than likely having (at least) one of these thoughts.
Sometimes there is no way to put these feelings into words. All you can do is smile and realize that this is how life was meant to be.
This post originally appeared on JamesMSama.com.
Connect with James on Facebook here.