I've been spending a few days in Raleigh, North Carolina after a few days in Minneapolis and have been privy to plenty of political advertisements. I also watched a few hours of Fox News and my bewilderment has only increased. The following are reasons McCain is giving to vote for McCain:
1. Israel will be destroyed if Obama is elected
2. Obama is a Socialist
3. Obama is a Marxist
4. Obama will tax you if you make more than $40K
5. Obama palls around with terrorists
6. Obama started his campaign in a terrorist's living room
7. Obama doesn't love America
8. Obama is against the troops.
9. Obama is pro-Iranian
10. Obama is a foriegner
And the best: The Apocalypse will come with the election of Obama
This is all crazy. Totally crazy. Outright, provable lies or so outrageous that it's inflammatory. In all cases it's polarizing. It's divisive. It's negative. It's embarrassing. It's not country first.
Our economy might need change, our foreign policy might need change, our health-care system might need change... etc. But nearly all Americans agree that our political process and values need change. McCain's Crazy-Talk Campaign is a perfect example of politics that people want to change -- are desperate to change.