Once or twice a year photographers come to our school, shine bright lights in our faces, and take our pictures. They always have the same advice for our parents; things like "Have your child wear solid colors," and "Send a comb with your child." Blah, blah, blah. Those pictures turn out boring. We kids know best when it comes to creating forever memories. Here are a few simple ways to prepare for the photos your parents will keep and remember for the rest of their lives:
1. Give yourself a haircut the night before. Or maybe just a bang trim. You want to look your best.
2. Tired of those boring school uniforms? Express your creativity and individuality with some body art. "Temporary" tattoos, permanent markers, and acrylic paints work best. Make sure to put your artwork in visible places, such as your arms, hands, and face. Everybody's doing it.
3. If you are lucky, and your parents forget about picture day, seize the opportunity to be remembered the way YOU choose. Wear that awesome yellow shirt with your favorite cartoon character on it, or that polka-dot striped dress your mom hates. After all, it is YOUR picture.
4. On the way to school, continue the search for that chocolate bar you lost in the car on Halloween. It has to be somewhere! When you find it -- melted or not -- eat it immediately. It will be the perfect stress relief from all the primping, de-tangling, and gel your parents put you through that morning.
5. Play tag, jump rope, or maybe football at morning recess to achieve that classic sweat+gel=awesome hairdo. Your parents did it, and your grandparents did it before them. Keep the tradition alive.
6. Worried about the environment? It is time to do your part. Put that uncomfortable collar to good use. It is conveniently located, so... AAaaatchooo... why waste tissues?
7. If you get bored at craft time, use the scissors to add some spice to your clothing. You've seen the pictures of your parents in the eighties. Why should they have all the fun? AND, you don't even like this outfit (that your mom made you wear).
8. Perfect the look of shock and surprise and be ready to flash that what-just-happened look when the photographer tells you to "Say cheese!" When your parents get your pictures, they will laugh hysterically, show them to all of their friends, and keep them forever as a reminder of what a sweet, nutty kid you were.
Good luck my friends and make your next school pictures the best ones yet.